1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: '98 Warwick Custom Shop Fortress Flashback with extra-slim neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RCCollins, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    This one (on the left in my avatar) is now available for sale as well as trade.

Original thread here.

this is NOT your everyday Warwick!

Well I think the time has come to break up the twins. I have a second Flashback and while I'll probably regret it, I think it's time for me to mix things up a little.

A fusion of vintage and modern styles, the Flashbacks are rare to begin with, and this one seems to be a later (probably '98) custom shop build - at least that's what Florin in the Warwick forums told me. He also suggested that Flashbacks are even rarer than I had previously thought - Here's what he said:
    Comparing this to my other Flashback, there are some noteworthy elements that appear ton confirm it is a custom shop bass. First the beautiful wenge neck is EVEN SLIMMER on this Flashback than on the one I am keeping (which is already an old school warwick slim neck). So this Flashback appears to have the rare extra-slim custom shop neck. Second, the fingerboard extends past the butt of the neck at the joint (see picture) like on many vintage instruments. Third, the wenge of the fingerboard is cut with a banded pattern on the side, which contrasts with the darker wenge of the neck rather than blending together. It is quite attractive and kind of old school psychedelic! Finally, the strap mount is higher than on my other flashback.

All in all it is a heck of a bass. The low-output lipstick pickups sound particularly sweet through a tube amp (and they are very kind to hot preamps). THe electronics are entirely passive. Single coil neck pickup gives a warm and punchy sound that is somewhere between a 51 P-bass, a danelectro and a rickenbacker neck pickup. The bridge pickup is two single coils wired in parallel as a humbucker, and they provide a surprisingly crisp bite for lipsticks - a growly Warwick sound to be sure. There are great tones all over the blend knob.

This bass has the Warwick Extra-slim neck, about 1.5mm shallower at the nut than the already slim (1.5" nut width) standard neck.

For those who assosicate chunky necks with Warwicks, here is a pdf of their neck profiles, and this page has illustrations for comparison. The neck you are familiar with is now known as the "fatneck" - the standard neck is jazz bass-ish. Again, this bass has the extra-slim neck in wenge, with a banded pattern on the side of the wenge fingerboard.[/B]

I still haven't had it weighed properly before i give you a real estimate, but here's i CAN say that the swamp ash body is not only beautiful, it is "80s-japanese-shredder-bass-bunnyhop-around-the-stage" light. Lightest warwick I've ever encountered.

I'm including a near-new Warwick hardshell case and, on request, a set of dunlop flushmount straplocks to go with the original mountings on the Flashback. The bass is strung with fresh, snappy DR-Lo-Rider Nickels in MedLite. I won't ship outside of the CONUS or Canada unless you've got something I really really want in trade

NOW AVAILABLE FOR SALE: $1500 SHIPPED IN THE CONUS or trade for something that will round out my arsenal of basses better. Here's what I will consider, add cash where appropriate:

1) A pre-2000 Warwick Streamer neckthrough P/J (preferably with wenge in the neck)
    2) A nice setneck shortscale hollow/semihollowbody
    3) Warwick Fortress R&B, or Fortress one PJ + cash

I might consider other things but probably no bolt-on necks, and I generally prefer passive electronics. I don't need cabinets (unless it's a Mesa 8 ohm PH115 with the player control network and comes with a cool head as well). I like tube amps, but could also use a pro SS setup - nothing TOO hi-fi though. For example Mesa, Aguilar and Ampeg are names I like.

So try me - Whatcha got? Any offers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wallydog

wallydog

May 14, 2007
    Rome, Italy
    think that's one of the nicest Warwick's I have ever seen..

3. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    thats a really cool bass.

4. [subscribed while I ponder which body part I can live w/o]

5. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Bump - I won't be dropping prices any lower. Are y'all gonna make me take this to the 'bay?

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    bumping until i come to my senses and realize this is way too good a price for this bass ;)

7. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    I still love this bass! I'm sold on G&L though :(

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I love G&L basses too, but the 20" fretboard radius of warwicks makes them the most playable basses around in my experience

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Which I had some trade bait that you wanted. Free bump for a killer bass at an absurdly low price.

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Unless someone has a Steamer neck-thru or a Ric, I don't see a trade happening at this point. I have my eye on a bass or i wouldn't even sell this baby - it's hard for me to break up my "matched set" of flashbacks...

this would be the time to make me cash offers

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    circumstances forcing me to take this bass to ebay very soon. if any of you TBers want it, I'm offering this bass for just $950 shipped in the CONUS (hardshell case not included). Keep in mind that I'm offering it for sale elsewhere and may have to pull this offer before the weekend is over.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Gone to ebay. As long as there are no higher bids, I'll honor this stated price for talkbassers. No more messin around!

13. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    If I had a grand and this bass had one more string... Hope you get more for it at the 'bay if it doesn't sell here.

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I know, right? Warwick folks seem to prefer 5ers, but this is really more like a warwick version of a vintage bass, so that doesn't make a lot of sense. there ARE some flashback 5ers out there, but very few!

15. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sold elsewhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.