1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: Benavente Standard Singlecut 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Justyn, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Starting a new thread for this one as the old one was getting a little cluttered. This is one of the most comfortable 35" scale basses I've tried, but I'm still not entirely sure it's the right scale for me.

This model was originally offered through Musician's Friend for a little over $2K. An off-the-rack Benavente, if you will. Still handmade, but available in only two different models to speed up production time.

The details:

- 3-piece quartersawn neck (bolt-on)
    - Dual-action truss rod
    - Rosewood fretboard
    - 24 frets
    - 35" scale
    - Alder body
    - Walnut top
    - Natural finish

- Benavente wide humbuckers
    - Benavente 3-band preamp (the base model was passive, and the active upgrade was offered for $250) configured as:
    - volume
    - volume
    - bass (boost only with push-pull for active/passive)
    - mid boost/cut
    - treble boost/cut

- Gotoh tuners
    - Vintage-style bent-plate bridge with 18mm spacing.

My take:

Physically, it's a very comfortable bass to wear, clocking in just under 9lbs. The neck is thin without feeling delicate. There are a some small dents and scratches around the edges of the body, but the top is in great shape.

The overall sound is clear and bright, without being harsh. I used to own an LEJ 5, which had Benavente's slim humbuckers and a similar preamp, and as you might expect, the wide humbuckers have a bit more fullness through the low mids. The front pickup is nice and chunky, the back pickup suitably burpy, the the combination of the two sounds appropriately jazzy with a bit more happening in the mids compared to the traditional J-Bass 'ploink.'

The preamp is powerful, and the bass great in a mix -- I've had a chance to both record and play live with it, and the results were very impressive. The B string tone is clear and and balanced with the other strings.

Below is a photo from the original listing on Musician's Friend. Pics of the actual bass are available here.

Asking $1100 shipped. SOLD

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Someone mentioned having issues viewing the pictures at the link I posted above, so while I work on that, here's a shot of the actual bass.

- thanks

Attached Files:

3. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I played one of these with the slims. It was a really nice bass.

4. dangerouscello

dangerouscello I wore a suit under this Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Philadelphia
    That is a very handsome bass.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.