1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT Carvin Bunny Burnel 5 Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Hyper-sloth, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Up for sale is my 2005 Carvin BB75. It has been upgraded with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. The original preamp will be included along with the case. The bass is in good shape other than dings and scratches from being gigged. I am looking for a 4 string fretless and I really have too many fretted 5 strings. My Stingray 5 really gets the bulk of my playing time. The only issue with this bass is the volume is lower when both pick ups are on, at center detent. I was told this happens with some pickup preamp combinations. It has a great sound to it but I love the Musicman too much. I was going to have the bass made into volume volume with new Norstrand pups but I don't want to spend any more $ on it. I bought it in 2006 for $720 plus I bought the Aguilar for $140 plus paid $100 to have it installed along with some fret work. Plenty of life left in the frets, neck is straight and comfy (the asymmetrical shape really does work). Has strap locks that double as regular strap posts. I can email higher res images to check out the dings. Very nterested in trades if you have a 4 string lined fretless. No homemade ones btw! Let me know. I don't need a fretted bass and I have enough 5'ers.

$630 shipped CONUS.

Carvin1.

Carvin3.

Carvin5.

Carvin7.

2. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Here are some images of the dings. The bass in very good shape imho. Also, I had Ben Chafin, who used to build all the proto-types for Dean Guitars do my work. He also used to build all the Deans that went to the famous guys; they never play off the self stuff. There is no shoddy work here.

CarvinBridgeSm.

CarvinLowerBout2Sm.

CarvinLowerBoutSm.

CarvinSm.

CarvinInsidesSm.

3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump for a model I've long lusted after but cannot currently afford. I've owned two Carvins to date and have always been impressed with their craftsmanship. The OBP-3 icing on the cake, IMO.

4. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks bro. I know, gigs are far apart for me! I really do love the neck and over fit and fret work. I just can't keep everything.....:crying:

5. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    PM replied.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have an LB75 with the OBP-3, standard J99 pickups. It smokes. Somebody grab this beauty before I do something stupid bump!!

7. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
  8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    any clips? Is this listed on ebay too?

9. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't placed it on eBay yet, I'd rather sell it to one of my low end brothers here.

I will post some clips; hadn't thought of it actually!

10. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
  11. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Monday back at work Bumpity bumps. Man, no one interested? I am pretty close to just keeping this sucker and putting in Nords! Then you'll all be sorry mah ha ha!!!! Kidding aside, this bass feels awesome, neck isn't too thin or thick, great string spacing, great tone. I really want to sell this so I can get a nice 4 string fretless. It was my go to all round versatile bass for my old corporate cover band. I could cop a wide variety of tones with this sucker.

12. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    My two cents: if one of the options is put in Nords, take that option!

:D

(also, free bump)

J.
    - unabashed Nordstrand fanboy.

13. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Yah, I may do that. They aren't too much $. I was really torn about selling anyway, I really love the feel & playability. I doesn't have a "rude" vibe like the 'Ray 5 has for my rock thing I'm involved with, but nothing lasts forever. Thanks for the bumpage brother.

14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    what's the weight on it? Is it 34"? Does it balance as well as the one in the video? :D

15. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Weight is 9 lbs 7.9 ounces

It is 34" scale.

It seems like it does balance like the video, I don't have a strap here at work, where I'm keeping the bass at the moment. Will try to remember to bring one tomorrow and test it. I don't remember ever having a problem on gigs. My musicman does do the ole neck dive.

Thanks,
    A

16. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Friday Bumps.

17. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    4-20 bump

18. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    what's the other switch do?

19. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    It is the passive/ active switch. ( the one closer to the neck...the one by the bridge makes the big humbucker into a single coil).I had the volume pot made into a mid cut switch. The original layout was volume-passive/ active, neck switch made the pups out of phase, which is a really crappy sound. Carvin got rid of that switch altogether. I haven't really played this bass at all since I acquired my Stingray while this one was in the shop getting the preamp put in. It was too late to cancel the work, so I spent the extra $ while finally getting a Musicman.

20. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Bumps