1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: Chapman Stickbass 8 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BadJazz, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bought this beast off of TB four years ago and simply do not have what it takes. SO! Figured I'd toss this up to the TB masses and see who's GAS kicks in hardest.

From TB'er climb's listing:

Hey guys,
    Cool instrument here. Chapman Stick Bass SB8 model, original 34" scale (not the newer 36" scale), with tarara wood and paua dot inlays (on one of them the surface is less brilliant than others; maybe rubbed off?) I'm not the original owner, and serial # is 19XX. Has ACTV-2 EMG pickups with stereo/mono output (ie. if you want, you can use a stereo cable and process the top four strings differently than the bottom four strings; very versatile and cool), fret rails, and comes with SKB molded hard case (an expensive option from Stick Enterprises).

For those less familiar, this is an instrument designed for two handed tapping. It's tuned B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb. You put it on and go; it's designed for bassists that want to try a new approach to their music. Very organic, beautiful sounding instrument. I'm not the original owner, and the previous owner put some paper dot markers on the fingerboard where all the C notes are--looks stupid, but actually pretty helpful for playing. These can be easily removed with mineral spirits if desired.

These instruments have a one year wait list and simply do not devalue--check ebay, and you'll see what I mean. These things sell high b/c there are so few made and they are in demand. Hence, a relatively risk free purchase. Asking $1700 + shipping. I bought it for timbre experiments in my lab and it's time to pass it on.

I've probably on put 3 or 4 hours on this thing since getting it, so it's entirely as described above. Comes with the adjustment tools, strap, and SKB case. Needs new strings from Stick, and this economy sucks, so I'm asking $250 less than I paid for it.

Partial trade list: I'm a G&L nut, and I'd like to have an L2K fiver on hand. (I have three fours already.) I mostly need cash, but I would entertain a partial trade in this case. I've also had some smelly Alembic gas for a few years now...

StickWhole.

StickPup.

StickStock.

NOTE: I'm having a hard time finding the toolbag, but I'll keep looking.

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Looks like they are on the "B" ???????

3. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Dots are on the C's.

Trades-being-considered-bump.

4. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I miss my SB8! Trade for a 2008 Am Std P in Sunburst and 2004 Am Dlx. 5 string Jazz in tangerine?

5. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Interesting. PM me pics if you would.

6. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    PMed. More pics to follow if you want.
    I'd even throw in two mostly new Fender molded flight cases.:D

7. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Possible trade pending bump.

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I got it------------- thought there was a 0 fret. Sorry.

9. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    For anyone interested: There is a strip of velcro adjacent to the nut. It is there to dampen open strings whilst tapping around. This is a stock item.

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    He's correct - the first white dot is on a B, if that's standard SB8 tuning (BEADGCFBflat). The zero fret is the same as an open string. B is one whole step above A. That note would also be the octave of the B string at the zero fret.

EDIT - that first abalone marker is off as well. Ive never seen an SB8 with a marker on the first fret. You might want to check with Emmett at Stick Enterprises, maybe this instrument was set up for a different tuning.

11. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Lets-Bump.

12. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Trade offers replied to. Keep them coming. The worst thing I could do is say no, have you banned from talkbass, hack your bank accounts, hunt you down in real life. That kinda thing. But I won't. I'll just say yes or no. Thanks!

13. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    My-membership-is-about-to-expire bump!

Will trade straight across for a Squier P-bass*.

*not true at all

14. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Numerous* trade offers replied to.

*none

15. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    BREAKING_NEWS_-_Thread_Resurrected21_Dead_thread_br_zps25309dc3.

Stick is back up for sale! Just restrung it with a fresh set straight from Chapman.

A quick shout out on their customer service: This is an older 34" scale model; the newer ones are 36". They accidentally sent me a long scale set of strings, which were going on fine until I tried to put the gigantic low B on. Wound up breaking it before I realized what was wrong. I emailed about the error and got a free B three days later. Thanks, Chapman!

So yeah, the strings are all fresh and nice, and I Gorgomyted the fingerboard while the strings were off, so it's all smooth and clangy. And I got a new toolkit from Chapman, so it's all dialed in and ready for an owner who will use it.

Trades certainly considered, although money talks louder than words. I think. Somehow. Anyway, yeah.

16. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    These things sound incredible! Ive tried my hand on it a few times as they had one in a studio i worked at, it puts you in vertigo but when you can make it work its really special.

GLWS

17. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Throw-me-your-trade-offers-before-feEbay bump!

And agreed with RedMoses, it has tone madness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.