1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: Cliff Bordwell Ball Bass w/ Darkstars

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    This is really hard to do, but I'm putting my beautiful Cliff Bordwell Ball Bass up for sale. This bass is absolutely incredible and it makes everyones jaw drop when they see it the first time. I literally get mobbed by people when I pull it out of the case. I really can't say enough about this bass. Build quality is close to perfect. The neck joint alone is enough to make most people stare for hours. Unfortunately for me, I got in a bad motorcycle accident last year which resulted in damage to my hands. Because of the accident, I can only play certain kinds of neck profiles. This bass has a flat fingerboard radius, and I need one that is very curved. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this bass. Playability is excellent. One of the best features of this bass is how it hangs on a strap. I've always wished that many basses would sit further to the right so first position would be more comfortable to reach. The body of the bass hangs to the right of your body so your plucking hand falls right into place and there is no far reach to first position. I'll take a picture of the bass on me later to show this. It basically makes a 24 fret bass play like a 21. There is absolutely no neck dive what so ever because of the extended upper horn and hipshot ultra-light tuners. The fretwork is absolutely flawless. I mean it, it's completely and totally perfect. I absolutely love the darkstars in this bass. I didn't really appreciate them until I added a thumbrest. This allows you to dig in a whole lot more and truelly brings out the dynamics of these pickups. They are very full and punchy sounding when played with a light touch but turn into a roaring jazz bass when you dig in. I had so much fun the first practice, after installing the rest, leading the dynamics of the band. I have a pretty green drummer but he immediately could pick up on the differences in feel from going from a light touch to digging in. The bass is in excellent to mint conditon. No fret ware or anything else like that. I've only used it at practices and it has never been gigged by me. The bass is pretty much brand new. I believe it was completed in January or February of this year. This bass is just incredible and I really, really wish I could keep it.

Here are some specs:

Figured bubinga front and back with ebony veneers between them and the core wood
    Spanish cedar core body wood
    Maple and wenge neck that has been aged for at least two years
    Very thick wenge fretboard
    Darkstar pickups running passive with volume, blend, and tone controls
    Bass cut mini switches like those found on Rickenbackers
    Hipshot bridge and ultra-light tuners
    Ebony nut
    34" scale
    The nut is just a touch over 1 1/2"
    I believe that string spacing is 19mm but I'm not sure
    The bass is completely shielded with gold foil. The shielding job is flawless and it gets no buzz what so ever.
    It is very light weight. I don't have a scale, but it's either right at eight pounds or just a touch under.

I'm completely open to trades on this one. I'll update this thread with things I'm interested in.

Here are some trades (+ or - cash) I may be interested in. Basses must be of equal value to do a straight up trade. I want a new Jazz bass but I'm pretty flexible right now. I'm really looking for a 21 or 20 fret bass with a bolt on neck. I'm a four string player, the right five or six string might tickle my fancy, but a four is more up my alley.

Sadowsky P or J
    Nash P or J
    Fender Custom Shop P or J
    Fender 62 or 70's reissue Jazz
    70's Fender Jazz
    Rob Allen Mouse
    Modulus Quantum 6
    Phil Jones Bass Briefcase
    Valenti
    Mike Lull

Price is $1795 plus shipping in a hardshell case. The bass was $2700 brand new just a few short months ago and Cliff Bordwell is starting to become very popular. Expect build times and prices to rise in the future.

Mike

2. Great bass - sorry to hear you need to sell it. Those pics don't have a thumbrest or bass cut miniswitches that I can see.

Any updated pics?

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Wow that is beautiful! Good luck with the sale. Let me know what your trade interests are.

4. Bump for a cool guy to deal with :smug:

5. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Here's a pic with the thumbrest and micro-switches.

edit: I added a better pic of the thumbrest.

Mike

6. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    yes,any pix of thumbrest,headstock,neck,fretwork..
    or any on cliff's site we havn't seen yet?

my compliments to the luthier,wonderful taste.

7. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Sep 3, 2006
    Cameron, NC USA
    The thumb rest is in the picture above.
    See the thick chrome bar on the bass end of the neck pup?

Man I love that bass. Would love to hear it, too.
    Sure can't afford it though, so...
    bump.

8. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Here's a couple more pics. I've had some great trade offers, but it's still available as of now.

Mike

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    This is a gorgeous bass!!! (I just had to chime in and say that.)

10. kotzman

kotzman Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    PM sent...

11. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm getting a ton of offers, so it's taking me a while to get back to everyone. If I haven't pmed anyone back yet, I'm still thinking about it.

Mike

12. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Trade pending.

Mike

13. Done deal
    Thanx :)

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    WOW!

15. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

16. Metropolis_488

Metropolis_488 Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    Off to the third owner, eh?

Great bass, Cliff built it for me and it arrived in January. The Darkstars kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.