1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT EA iAmp 800

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Biker4Him, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somehow I've ended up with two of these great amps. I actually had intentions of keeping one, and giving the other to my church, to go in our new building that is almost completed. Anyway.. they don't have a need for it.

I'd prefer to sell it, but I would consider trades (up or down) for other amps... like an Eden Wt550.. or who knows what else. I might also consider a bass in trade.. but it would have to be a pretty special bass.

Oh.. I have both models.. the one with the tuner, and the newer model with the gold jacks that is like brand stinking new.!!!

I'm asking $895.00 shipped to your contiguous U.S. doorstep.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    PM sent!

3. all pm's replied to... either amp is still available.

The older one (with the tuner) I would let go, for less than what I am asking for the newer one.

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    PM'd

5. still here... I'd really like to sell one of them... make an offer...

6. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    pm...

7. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Email sent.

8. sold

Thank you!!

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just out of curiousity, why trade an iamp for an eden?

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    different sounds probably... both killer amps with very dissimilar voicings.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    definitely

12. Yep, that's why. I didn't figure I needed two of the exact same amp. So now I've got both.

I actually responded to his question via p.m. since the amp has already been sold. But.. so that everyone will know.. I just wanted something different to go along with the iAmp.

It's kind of like having only two crayons, and both are the same color... now I have two different color crayons. (now if I could just learn to color inside the lines!!)

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Can anyone describe the differences? Is it a tube thing? Would a tube preamp in front of the iAmp accomplish something similar?

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's just a different preamp thing... in the same way an SWR preamp would sound different from an Ampeg preamp, which is different from a Demeter, which is different than... ... ... ...

Putting a tube preamp in front of an iAmp would certainly make it sound different, and potentially noisier with the extra gain stage, but it wouldn't sound like an Eden. If you want the Eden tone, get an Eden. That's why Biker4Him did this. It's the right thing to do if that's what you want.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Having owned/played with both (albeit the Quest preamp, not the iAmp), I also say "+1".

16. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't want the iamp to sound anything but like an iamp. I was just wondering if the tube was adding some color that might be interesting in front of an iamp. I certainly would pick up an eden if I wanted that exact sound. :D

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yes it would, but... then... it wouldn't sound like an iAmp anymore, which defeats your first point. :)

18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Isn't the Quest Epifani and not EA?

However, here's to having different heads for different voices.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    CRAP! Yes, you're right. I'm confused (sorry), but I still stand by my main point about diffs. If it helps, I haven't owned an iAmp, but I have played thru them before... I borrowed a friend's once... he was trying to sell it. Not quite my cup-o-tea, but real nice.

DOH! :)

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the iAMP is very fast, clean, and (there's that word) hifi. the Eden is has its own hifi'ness, but the tube gives that tubey "bloom" to big notes by bathing them in a warm relaxed sound. for my own playing, the quick alacrity of the iAMP is more my speed.

btw, i have used my SIB FatDrive in the loop of the EA, and have gotten a terrific sound of fast and articulate, while being tubiliciously warm and gooey. awesome combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.