1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS/FT FEELER: 1978 Fender P (fretless) / 1978 Fender Musicmaster

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lpcarter, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Up for grabs: --no longer looking for trades--

1978 Fretless Fender P Bass - $1775
    Natural Finish, 1 piece maple neck. Just a killer. Purchased from Willies Guitar in St. Paul. I added the pup/bridge cover and the thumb rest. Comes with the OHSC, as well. The case has a rough spot on the shell, everything else seems to be great. The back of this bass had that weird protective skin they used to sell on it, and was removed prior to my purchase. Now the back is grainy-feeling from the sticky part. Also, some dude named "Mickey" etched his name into the pick guard. I like to think that's the first owner, and that's what I call the bass now.

-next-

1978 Musicmaster - $500 -SOLD LOCAL-
    This has been refinished from what I'm assuming was black, to a much better looking sparkle gold. I love how it looks, but I got a 1974 Musicmaster and I love how that plays a little more. Has upgraded pots/input from a Lakland US Bob Glaub. Will include the original pots/input/pot caps. Pup is original, but it is lacking the cover.

Currently setup with a set of piccolo strings. I really love how the thing looks, the uncapped pots, the uncovered pup, the finish, and it also sounds awesome as a piccolo. But it'll just collect dust...

Let me wrap it up with a link to, what I realized, is clips of BOTH basses! I recorded on a cd last fall, and I only used those two basses.

danmariska

The fretless is only on track #8. Make it to the bridge for some upper register stuff. The musicmaster is on the rest, and it's pretty much 100% palm muted chugchugchugs. Used flats on both instruments for the recording.

Attached is a picture of the basses. Nevermind the Lakland DJ, that has been sold already.

--SHIPPING--
    My roomie works at Delta. He can ship my basses for literally...10 or 20 bucks. Or so. The bass would FLY to you. Talk about fast shipping! The only catch is you need to pick it up from your airport. Or I can do conventional shipping, for more. We'll talk out shipping depending on your needs.

Attached Files:

2. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    closeup of the P, and one of the Musicmaster. In the thumbnail above, it still has the pup cover and the original pots/knobs. This is how it is now.

Attached Files:

3. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Last one. The HSC for the P Bass, where it's cracked. The rest of the case is fine. If someone needs more pictures of something specific in interest of buying, let me know!

Attached Files:

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I take it you aren't looking for any trades?
    (Aside from a Rickenbacker I guess...which I don't have, :p )

5. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nah, not really. I'm not holding out for someone to pop up with a fretless Rickenbacker that they don't want for some reason, so I'm expecting to just do sales. Sell some of your extra stuff :) I gotta say, it's about time I do this and it feels kind of good! I just need to stop myself before I sell too many things!

6. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    I have a fretted Rickenbacker I can offer for the P fretless...

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    My 78 fretless p will go with me to the grave. Your musicmaster is sooo tempting, I've always wanted to do what you've done, put on piccolo strings on one of those.

8. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really like it. A lot. But lately, I've been in the "justify" mode...if I get a new bass, I must get rid of whatever it'll be replacing. That also means I can have a new bass if I don't have anything that fills that role :)

However, I can't say piccolo truly has a role in my arsenal. But I got a different musicmaster, an older one (gotta grab the good deals before they go!) and decided it was time to try it out. It's awesome, sounds great, fun to play...but alas. I can't justify it.

9. bluesdragon

bluesdragon

Mar 23, 2010
    I've got a 2010 Midnight Blue Ric.. Located in S. Fla.. Trade for the P-bass.. i used too have one with the Maple Neck. I have bee looking. $$$ is tight But a trade might work..

10. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just sell off that Ric ;) I'm trying to pay off my student loans as fast as I can, and part of my plan is selling off my excess basses.

Sadly slash ironically, I'm trying to pay off student loan debt from a music school...sigh.

11. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    bump