SOLD FS/FT Feeler: 1996 Tobias Classic 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tbar0000, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbar0000

tbar0000 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Here's a feeler for my 1996 Tobias Classic 5 bass. It is of Gibson owned vintage (sn= 4554), but I have never noticed any poor craftsmanship issues with it at all- guess I got a good one. Anyways- I always thought it was mahogany, but Gibson/Tobias rep after viewing a picture of it, says it is likely Walnut/Wenge/Walnut.

She has the curved top Bartolini pickups, and the 9 volt XTCT preamp (same as the older pre-Gibson basses). There is hardly a flaw on it- except for some finger popping wear by the G string, and a small ding at the 7th fret (low B side). I flattened out the ding a heat source, so it if nearly flush , however the small scar remains.

It is a beautiful bass, and lightweight just shy of 9 lbs (on my bathroom scale). I just could never get "my sound" out of her- So I'm considering swappering her out- or selling her to get something different.

For trades I'm looking for Fretted 5's and lined fretless 6ers. For the fretted 5, I'm very partial to Fender Deluxe V's but prefer newer ones with 4+1 headstocks, and prefer Black or Natural finish. Not interested in 4 strings (I have plenty) nor any 35" scale basses- 34" ONLY please!

Asking price is $2k shipped (con US). Comes with original Tobias hardshell case.

Thanks for looking
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. tbar0000

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Here's a few more pics.

Attached Files:

3. tbar0000

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    and a few more pics...

Attached Files:

4. tbar0000

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    PMs replied

5. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    34" PM!!!!!!

6. tbar0000

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    PMs replied
    Any other trade offers? Maybe I'll just keep her.

7. musiqisme26

musiqisme26

Jan 11, 2007
    NYC
    I have serial #3035 and they look exactly the same wow good luck on sale

8. tbar0000

Feb 2, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I've had some offers but nothing that really appealed to me.

Think I'll keep her- perhaps a Preamp/pickup change will be in the works.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.