1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT FEELER: Amazingly customized 2011 MIJ Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RJHall, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    attachment.
    attachment.
    attachment.

MIJ Fender Classic Series 70s Precision Bass - 3TB
    This here is my steed and my loyal workhorse for the last two years. [DEL]This is a feeler at the moment because I need to see how I "feel" after hitting "submit new thread."[/DEL] Let's do this! The only reason I am selling this bass is to fund my P5 GAS. I need a 5er for my current projects and the wife says I can't have more than 2 basses (the new Rick isn't going anywhere), so this one is on the chopping block.

This isn't just a MIJ P bass, it is the only non-Custom Shop production Fender P bass with blocks and binding! Furthermore, production of this bass has shifted to Mexico, and from what I hear, the MIM is okay, just not the same. Regardless, this bass plays amazingly well, it actually has lower action and better factory fretwork than my Rick did! I have been told by many bassists, and my tech, that this is one of best playing and sounding P basses they have ever tried. No one can believe this thing was made in Japan (and that's not even a bad thing!). It's the neck... this neck is friggin nuts! It's almost as thin as a Geddy neck, but has the width of a modern P. It is also capable of crazy-low action for a P-Bass. The $300+ in quality mods really set it apart from the herd too. If you're in the NYC area, you're welcome to give it a try yourself and see what I mean.

More pics will be posted as I continue to dress the bass for sale. I will also honor picture requests. Please bare with what I've got for the moment and PM me if you would like to see more details.

[DEL]Since I am GAS-ing for a very specific instrument, this longshot trade is also VERY specific (no exceptions)...
    2009-2012 Am Std Black/Maple Precision V
    ...cash on my end depending on condition.[/DEL]
    No trades... just made my purchase and told the wife I am selling a bass per her request! :ninja:

My mods and specific details (let me know if I miss something):
    -9.4 lbs (I will confirm this once I get new batteries for my scale)
    -Bad Ass II Bridge ($100 new)*
    -3 Hipshot HB2 Tuners + BT2 Drop-tuner ($150 new)
    -Fender Original '62 p'ups ($90 new)**
    -Orange Drop cap in the tone circuit (Greasebucket)**
    -Switchcraft output jack.**
    [DEL]-Dunlop strap buttons/locks included [/DEL]

*if you don't want the BAII, I will knock off $50 and install one of these for you: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-p-bass-j-bass-vintage-bridge-assembly
    **All electronics installed professionally

Stuff worth knowing:
    -When I had the bass setup last summer in VA, the neck was straight as an arrow with plenty of room for the truss to turn. Here/now in NYC (I am told this Winter is especially cold and dry), I added a Fender brand truss washer to get the action and relief to where is should be. The truss is tight, but not maxed! (with about 1/4-1/2 turn left). The most important thing is the neck is nearly straight (where I like it) and holding. This bass does favor warmer, more humid climates, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it (as told by my tech).
    -Overall 9ish/10 condition. Small, teeny-tiny clear-coat ding in lower horn and some not-detectiable-by-camera imperfections and swirling in the rear top coat. Signs of use on pick guard.
    -signs of wear at pickguard bevel from trying adjust the truss with the neck on (despite the bevel, this doesn't work too well with neck on)
    -Frets and board are like-new and includes and she's strung up with a fresh set of Chromes .40-.95
    -Includes deluxe gig-bag
    -There is a mild rattle on the open A that doesn't come through the amp, but since I rarely play open A and it doesn't come through the amp, I never bothered messing with the nut or installing a string retainer (which I was told would cure it). It may also be the lighter gauge strings I like to use (A is .75).

$950.00 shipped CONUS
    $900.00 local pickup
    ...or just make me an offer!

That's all I can think of... more pics to come. PM me with questions!

Attached Files:

2. Gorgeous cat bump! (I dig the bass, too!) Wished I was in NYC to check it out (the bass, not the cat)!

3. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    ^LOL Thanks!

GAS pains are cramping me up folks, make me an offer for this sweet, sweet piece of bass before I decide to keep her!

4. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    New pictures and updates BUMP!

Also just restrung her with new Super-Light Chromes and I'm getting her set up to be a really great player! I will post relief and action shots later tonight.

Attached Files:

5. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Adding a case option. It's a nice Fender/G&G Deluxe vintage-style case. Good condition less your typical bumps, bruises, and scrapes. This will jack up the shipping cost considerably, so it's not a throw-in. I also plan on de-stickering it before a sale, but I don't want to put in the elbow-grease until I know I'm going to sell it! :)

+ $50

Attached Files:

6. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Another one

Attached Files:

7. Are any of the original parts included? Tuners (I'm not into drop-D), pup, etc.?

8. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    No, gave it all to my tech for a discount on service (he likes spare parts). OEM parts were junky IMHO, especially the p'ups. These '62s are where it's at. Tuners were MIM-quality junk too. Even if you don't drop, the HS hardware is tops. Some people don't like the BA bridges, but that's why I offered to install a vintage threaded bridge (which I would have to order). To each his own.

9. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    ...and sold! That was fast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.