SOLD FS/FT: Fernandes Mockingbird

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Brendan, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Up for sale/trade/firing squad is a Fernandes Mockingbird copy.

Things I do know:
    34" scale
    Rosewood fretboard
    Maple neck
    EMG pickups, 9v
    V/V/T
    1.65" nut width
    Thicker, P style neck profile
    Will ship in gigbag

Things I do not not:
    Body wood

While it's only wired up V/V/T with a three way pickup toggle, all the electronics appear to be intact, and still wired up, so if you had some different pickups, I don't think it'd be hard to get it back to having the full electronics package.
    Not sure what wood the body is under the paint. There are a couple dings (notably on the lower horn) that make me think it could be mahogany, it's about the right color, but the color of wood can vary enough, it might well be alder or basswood, or something else entirely.

However, aside from the "Couldn't tell from the crowd" level of dings and dents and swirls/hazing, it does in fact play extremely well. Neck is straight, truss rod has room on either side, no fretbuzz (with medium action). Pretty flat radius, too. Has Schaller straplock buttons on it, but didn't come with the strap end...I can leave them on, or rustle up some regular strap buttons, your preference.

It also one of the biggest sounding basses I've ever heard. Like, massive. Keith Roscoe B-of-Doom big. I've had/have basses approximately the same (wood and electronics), and this thing is just waaay huge. Dunno if it's magic, or they're using some wonky pot values in conjunction with the EMGs, but this is a big sounding bass. Which completely redeems what I'm about to say:

I will not tell a lie, this thing neck-dives like a mutha, but it's also got some pretty hefty tuners on it, some lighter tuners would probably help a good bit. It's not a particularly heavy bass, so at least it's not murdering your shoulder and neck-diving.

DSCF9981.jpg
    and more at
    http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/TheBaronOmerta/Fockingbird/

(The end of the fretboard doesn't look nearly that chewed up in person.)

So, that's the good, the bad and the ugly about it. As you can see, it's not horror show beat up, sounds amazing, and plays pretty well.

FS: $350 shipped to CONUS.

Trades:
    Guitar (Strat for preference)
    Preamp- 1 or 2 spaces, prefer tube/grit style over hi-fi/clean.

2. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    She's Japanese
    and technically not a copy, they have the licence for Japanese mocks
    sometimes also seen w "Burny" name too,
    From my experience .. All mocks neck dive like crazy,

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Preamps gladly accepted. Ampeg SVP-Pro (blackface for preference) would be pretty effin' sweet. Not really interested in the SansAmp stuff, sorry.

I might also go for a MIM or MIJ Fender Jazz. Needs to be Fender for compatibility, because I intend on swapping the neck out for a Precision neck. If you've got a jazz style bass with a P width neck, also hit me up.

But, as always, prefer a sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.