1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT Gretsch 5123b Electromatic w/HSC - Sweet orange hollowbody goodness

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by astack, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    On the block is my 2010 Gretsch 5123b bass. It's a very cool bass, but this year I'm looking to build a couple basses, so I'm thinning my OTS herd.

It's strung with .105 La Bella's. It was set up and the nut upgraded to bone about a year ago. Hasn't seen much play time since, and in the Bay Area, there's no such thing as "seasonal adjustments" :smug:. Can't find a mark on it. The case is the oversized Roadrunner case that is popular with these. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-RRMBA17-ABS-Molded-Acoustic-Bass-Case-106070311-i1668716.gc The case is fairly minty, too, as I more often used a soft case gig bag.

Disclosures: I'm pretty sure the E string is a bad one. It can get by, but doesn't sound as full as the others. Also, the [del]bridge does rattle[del] tailpeice buzzes ATM. I don't remember either of these issues with other strings, so they might be solved with a string swap.

$650 + shipping takes it. $600 + shipping sans case.

I'd also be interested some trades, including but not limited to:
    • Aguilar Agro
    • Gotoh Res-o-lite GB640 tuners
    • Squier VM Mustang (black preferably)
    • Various lead sled amps

DSC01355.
    DSC01358.
    DSC01359.
    DSC01363.
    DSC01362.
    DSC01367.

2. Cool bass! Weight? What's its neck profile?

3. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Crappy ikea bathroom scale is telling me 8lbs and the kitchen scale says 7lbs 14oz. The neck is pretty flat. Not quite Ibanez pencil thin, but definitely closer to that end of the spectrum than the P baseball bat end. The fingerboard radius is also pretty large / flat. It's a 1-3/4" nut, but as a Jazz guy myself, it doesn't feel that huge. The thin neck helps.

4. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Bumpage. Dragged out the last couple of sets of strings I've tried on this. Will include w/ purchase. Everything's broken in, but max 6 months of playing on any given set.

- DR Hi Beams .110's
    - Stock strings .105's?
    - Roto 77's .110's

Hoping to restring it in the next day or two and expect those minor issues to go away.

5. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Bump, because it's a really cool bass...LOVE mine...fun little jazzbox:) (try it with tapewounds)

6. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks man! Thought of the tapewounds thing, but thought it'd be too much of a good thing. I really like the thumpability of hollowbody w/ flats, though. With the two pick ups, it does rounds growl pretty well, too. Oh and get a high gain amp / pedal in the chain and you never have to pluck. :D

7. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    "Buy my bass, I'm Irish" bump

8. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Just back from vacation bump!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.