1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: ISP Beta Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by bongomania, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FS, an ISP Beta Bass preamp. There have been many mentions of this pre in the Amps forum, but here's the thread with the most useful info about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469766
    ...and here is the manufacturer's page: http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=60
    ...and here it is on Musician's Friend: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Beta-Bass-Preamplifier?sku=481421

All in all, a great-sounding and very useful preamp. Articulate, high-fidelity (but not sterile), and quite full-sounding.

Something to note: with the EQ set flat, the output can be a bit low for power amps with an input sensitivity higher than 1.0V. This can be solved by boosting a bit with the EQ; also I got great results using high-output basses, or boosting the signal of a lower-output bass with a gain pedal. Of course if your power amp has a 1.0V or lower input sensitivity rating, it's a non-issue.

The compressor onboard is actually quite good! There's only one control, for the threshold, but even so it has a useful, musical, and unobtrusive functionality, with no added noise.

The two semi-parametric mid EQ bands allow dialing in a wide range of tones and corrective EQ, and the low shelving band has a nice big "authoritative" tone, clear and clean. The "exciter" function is good for bringing a little more high end "presence" into your sound. The array of outputs, and controls over the output, are quite useful and more comprehensive than with most typical preamps. The DI can be run pre or post EQ, and it has an independent level control. It has an effects loop which also has an independent level control.

I paid $450 for it just a few weeks ago; PRICE DROP to $420 shipped in the CONUS. I'm definitely open to trades--pretty much the only things I won't consider trading for right now are amps, cabs, or SX/Rogue/similar budget Chinese basses.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

[​IMG]

Boom762 likes this.
  2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    It has been a long long while since I last visited TalkBass - So it's good that on my visit back for the first time in what seems an age - I can offer some decent advice. - And that would be... buy this preamp!! I rate it very highly and the reviews on TB are pretty damn acurate. Clean, Authoritive - the simple layout is uncluttered and 'no-nonsense'.

(I'm not being biased here either lol)

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Free bump

How is the compressor with hard peaks? Would it require an outboard limiter?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's good for general moderate peak limiting, but not for extreme peaks.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Xmas special: until January 1st, the price is $400 shipped! After Jan 1 it will go back up to $450, and I'll sit on it as long as it takes. Remember, this pre costs $623 new!

6. Ugh. You are a vile tempter, Bongo. :scowl:

7. uptoo

uptoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Interesting.

8. jeffbass

jeffbass Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    pm sent...

9. bongomania