1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: Lakland 55-01 Fretless, Cherry Burst, Upgrades!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by HaPpYfAcE, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADE PENDING!

Price: $600 + ship/pack costs (Paypal OK!) - Please see description. Only trades would be for a 4 string Lakland in a finish other than natural, please. This is also the reason for selling this one...to get a 4 string Lakland or cash towards one. :) Would MAYBE consider a Fender American Deluxe Precision (P/Humbucker) 4 string....MAYBE. Amps are a possibility too, it seems!

First, here are the pictures from the seller i got it from. These were taken before i got it, so you can see how great it looks with a quality camera. I will have to describe the cosmetic flaws as best as i can, because i only have a crappy phone camera right now.

Click here for a directory with the previous owner's images

Alright, so here's the good stuff. It has upgraded pickups and preamp. The pickups are said to be Bartolini model 72BC5C and the preamp is verified as the NTMB-918F. It has a volume push/pull for active/passive and Mid push/pull for changing the mid freq. I don't know what the freqs are, though. This combo sounds amazing and has plenty of volume. The finish on the body is Cherry Burst, which you can see from the pics looks awesome. It has dunlop style strap buttons attached to the bass, but i didn't get the strap attachments with it. I just used a set i already had for it. It works equally well with standard straps, but it's worth using the locks, imo.

There are a few cosmetic flaws, as i mentioned earlier. It looks like one of the previous owners had rounds on there or did string bends. (I did put some rounds on there for a few hours while i waited for my JO sig set to get here, but i was very careful not to dig in). You can see a few spots where there are string marks and maybe others if you look closer. This doesn't seem to affect playability at all, however. I have also noticed that there are some scratches on the headstock from the strings right at the tension bar. There is also a scratch where the B string tuner is...it looks like someone tried using pliers to tighten/loosen the tuner and made contact. When it was shipped to me, it came from canada, so perhaps because of customs or just plain abuse from the local carriers (this isn't the first shipping damage, sigh), it has a nickel sized crack in the finish on the back of the bass. It is circular, but not closed, so the finish is still intact and could possibly be repaired or mended with little to no effort.

Here is a pic i took of the spot, but the quality is quite awesome as you will see. The damage is shown as a black line/semi-circle right where the flash is. It's got some nail polish on it so the crack doesn't spread any further.

It has 4 strings from the Joe Osborn signature flats on it. Unfortunately, while stringing it up, the G string windings kept breaking, regardless of what i did to prevent it. I was told by someone at Lakland to expect another string in the mail, but i couldn't wait, so i went to a local shop and got a set of GHS flats and used the G string from that set on the bass. It is the same gauge as the G from the JO set, so the only difference is that it has purple yarn at the end instead of black. These strings are top loaded and there are no tension issues at all.

I believe i have mentioned everything, but i will take another look at the bass later to make sure.

The bass will come with the gig bag shown in the second pic. It is a Kaces model bag and is the one i got with the bass. One of the zippers is missing from it and that section is zipped shut. I will also include the remaining 3 strings from the GHS set i mentioned earlier (it is a 4 string set 45-105).

It will be packed and shipped at the UPS store. This is because of the great tracking system offered by UPS + the pack and ship guarantee offered by the store...If anything happens to it, loss, stolen, or DAMAGE, they will cover it since they packed it.

[sarcasm] Here are a couple super high quality photos from my phone.[/sarcasm]

lakland_rig.

lakland55-01bk.

EDIT:
    alright...i had a request for better pics of the flaws. i tried, but can't get a pic of the scratches on the headstock. i almost missed them, but it could just be the light. then again, i may be over-exaggerating the scratches and they may not be that bad.

there is one major flaw that is very noticeable and that is the shipping damage that occurred when it was shipped to me. it is a crack in the finish on the back of the bass. it is just in the finish, not in the wood, and there are no pieces of the finish missing. someone mentioned using nail polish to keep it from going any further and i tried doing that earlier today, but that just brings it out a little more. i feel that it was necessary, however, as i could see what i thought to be new cracks. it is still only about the width of a quarter and height of a nickel.

here are the pics i took...please be aware that these were taken by a phone camera and shouldn't be construed as an overall color of the bass...it does things to pictures that still amaze me. :rollno:

in this one, it's at the bottom of the pic...it shows up more clearly now with the polish.
    shipdmg1.

this is a close-up, which didn't turn out so bad, but it's still quite blurry.
    shipdmg2.

2. Nice Bass - good price!!

3. :hyper: thanks!

4. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Man that's pretty....I'm salivating....sure wish I could pick it up.

5. would take $600 shipped w/o the gig bag included. I will still include the extra strings, however.

6. This is an awesome bass at an awesome price!

Someone buy this so it will stop calling to me! :bassist:

7. Trade pending with Saluki for a GB Shuttle 6.0.

8. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    and cash. Don't let him fool you :D

9. ;)

Bass was shipped via Fedex today (even tho i mentioned the UPS store above :bag:). Assuming all goes well, then consider it no longer available!

:bassist:

10. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Guys I have to put this up to get my old MTD back. I will post a new thread and reference this one but just wanted to let everyone know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.