1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT Late 60's/Early70's Teisco SG/Fender hybrid

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by fenderhutz, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Howdy Folks,

I got his from my singer and don't have time to tinker with it. It made sound when I got it, sweet sound, but the tone knob was shot and the jack was sputtering. So I bought a brand new P-bass wiring kit with an orange drop capacitor.

Its been sitting and I don't have the time to rewire it.

I bought a logo off of lavmonga and named it the Faker Mongrel Bass since it looked like a Fender SG. Just a waterslide I didn't coat over. Easy to remove.
    Nice aged cream color with some kind of streaked tort that looks great with the real blocks and binding.

It is a 24.5-25 inch scale and is a BLAST to play. This is the typical short scale length to tail piece but because they added the roller bridge it shortened the scale. Uses standard short scale strings. The guy that had this is a famous internet guitar collector that has a ton of guitars (don't remember name) but my singer bought a lot of stuff off him that he couldn't work on anymore. This was one piece. He kept good care of it.

The good. Real blocks, bound neck. Truss works and the neck does not appear to be twisted at all. I think having the wood grain in the neck going longways helped on this. The pickup sounds fat and full. Kinda like a mix between a P and a Stingray without the twang. The tuners hold tune and work fine. No rusty hardware (except screws for plexi control plate). I WILL include the wiring kit I just bought.

The bad. The wiring needs redone. I took it apart and kept it all wired except one of the capacitor leads came off. So rewiring should be easy to follow. The knobs do not fit the new pots. The intonation is pretty darn good on the low side but when you get higher it is a little noticeable. It doesn't adjust lol. There is a finish crack where the neck meets the body. The pickguard and plexi control plate are handmade. The pickguard is pretty cool and done pretty well, the plexi control plate could use an update. It all fits together.

Overall it is a really cool piece. Made in Canada (maybe Japan?) I am pretty sure by asking on here. I detailed any and all issues I thought should be documented in the pics.

Here is a youtube video of another Teisco from the same era. Sounds very similar especially the first 22 seconds of the video.

Pics:

20120720_205350.

20120720_205416.

20120720_205422.

Blocks:

20120720_205431.

20120720_205448.

20120720_205508.

20120720_205515.

Finish Crack:

20120720_205534.

20120720_205548.

I am asking 138 Shipped for this. It's a one of a kind at least :D Probably ship in a beat to heck gig bag for protection purposes only. Feel free to make a reasonable offer. I won't take 50 bucks for it lol.

Trades, just hit me up. Something in the similar range +/- cash is fine.

2. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    One last bump, tomorrow I am going to fix it and keep it if I invest the time.

3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    PM'd

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sold to Chewbacca :D

Thread Status: