1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: Matt Pulcinella Level 6

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MrWalker, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I'm considering parting with my Matt Pulcinella Guitars Level 6. It's got a beautiful quilted maple top on a swamp ash body, with a beautiful blue finish. The photos doesn't really do it justice! The bolt-on neck is one-piece maple with a pau ferro fingerboard. Bartolini mics with a three-band Bartolini preamp. There's a coil switch for each mic.

Scale length 35". The measurements are very close to a Yamaha TRB6 neck, but slimmer (back to front). And the 35" scale length is the reason why I'm passing this one on, as I cannot get used to it... :(

The design of the bass makes it balance extremely well, and it's got low action and a beautiful sound.
    Matt's own photos from his web site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My pictures :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bass has an incredible top, and the brightest photos show it off the best.

For a review of this exact bass, visit talkbass and read this one:
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduc...uct/1008/cat/13

Price: US$1500
    Trades can be of interest, let me know if you have something to offer. :)
    I'm based in Norway, but if you're interested I'm sure we can figure the shipping out. :)

2. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Bump for an INCREDIBLE instrument! Just parted with my Level 6 and am already regretting it, but needed the $ :crying:

Best of luck on your sale!

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Ah, just saw the "Norway" part. Way too expensive to ship. But, nice bass!

4. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Well, yeah, the shipping is expenssive. But if you're interested, we can still work on something. I do realize that shipping will cut into my "revenue". :)
    So if you're interested, shoot me a PM and let's discuss the possibilities.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Beautiful bass! That quilt top is outrageous. :eek: I love my MPG Level 5.

6. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, the top is pretty amazing. And I know it sounds like bad marketing jippo, but the photos doesn't really do it justice! :)

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Shipping to Norway is only about $100 so shipping from Norway might be about the same?

8. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    The shipping the other way around will probably be somewhat me, cause the Norwegian Postal Service isn't exactly cheap...
    But it's not too much more than that, I think.

Which is of course the reason why I'll split the shipping expenses in some reasonable way.

9. bent

bent Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    Hey MrWalker, melancholy mechanic here. I sold you that Peavey Cirrus all those years ago :)

10. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Ah, hello, Bent!!! :)
    Many basses has moved through the premises since then! And the Cirrus was sold for more or less the same reason as this one.... I cannot adjust to the 35" scale length. And don't ask me why I bought another one with the same scale length!!! Bad judgement, I guess. ;)

How's your JAF/Moses bass doing? :)

11. bent

bent Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    I too have been through many, many basses! I'm down to buying and selling one a year -- can you believe it?!

I love the JAF but actually, I've also decided that 35" is not for me. Mostly because it messes me up when I switch to fretless. I need all the notes to be in the same places! I want to try an F Bass - hopefully the 34.5" won't be a problem!

12. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yes I can..... don't ask me why, my rate has been higher than that *lol*
    I sold the Peavey a few years ago already, and it was because of the 35". It's a killer bass apart from that, really. But then I got this idea that I should settle with two 34" 4-strings to use for piccolo basses, and then it wouldn't matter if I got two 35" 6-strings as my main fretted and fretless.

Well, I was wrong, not to mention the fact that I couldn't settle for those four basses and needed all sorts of basses to fool around with. I just hope I get this one sold as it doesn't get much play time, but on the other hand... I've turning into a collector more than a player anyway, so if it stays it stays. At least I tried *rofl*

I would make sure to test that 34.5" out before putting money in it, though! :D

13. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    bump for a fantastic bass!!!!!

The most comfortable 6 I've ever played. Someone's gonna get lucky here.

14. What's the string spacing?

15. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Hello!

The string spacing at the bridge is 19mm, and the neck is approximately the same neck profile as a Yamaha TRB-bass, only a little slimmer front to back. A very nice neck profile.

16. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    The nut on this appears to be a little more narrow than the TRB-6 that I have. Just for interests sake, it would be great if you could measure the board at the nut and post it. The board on my '94 TRB-6 is 2 3/16" (56mm) at the nut, and the string-spacing is 47mm center-on-center B to C (a little over 9mm) at the nut. I got the magnifying glass out for this one.

Just a little off the nut-width makes a big difference in comfort in the lower positions, but you still get the advantage of a wider board.

At any rate, this appears to be a great opportunity, Last time I checked, Matt was going to another format for his business and not taking orders. I am so stoked with my new Veillette, Roscoe, and my TRB I just don't think I could swing this right now. But man, I really dig the lines on these Pulcinella's!

You guys should not sweat the shipping. This price is absurdly low for an instrument such as this one.

Cheers to the man from the old country.

17. Kevin W Guin

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
  18. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Well, I'm sorry, I didn't get to take any measurements tonight... I didn't find my measuring device! *BUT* I checked it towards my TRB-6 with a visual inspection (leaned them towards each other), and you are right, the string spacing on the Pulcinella is slightly tighter than the string spacing on the Yamaha. However, the board is equal width.

When it comes to shipping expenses, the thing that drives the price up when sending TO Norway, is that we get a 25% VAT tax on the instrument. So if we pay US$900 for an instrument, and $100 in shipping, the government charges us 25% of the total sum in import VAT. Thus, our total price gets $900 + $100 + $250 (VAT) = $1250.
    However, this does not apply when sending an instrument the OTHER way, as I don't think you have a similar VAT system in the US. So for you guys it should be only the shipping expenses to worry about.

So yeah, the story above is true, but it hits me... not you. :)

Fortunately I have some guys here locally who are also interested in the bass, so I might not have to go to the hazzle of international shipping *lol*

19. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    OK, took a measurement of my bass :)
    Width @ nut: 55mm
    Thickness @ 1 fret: 22mm
    Width @ 12 fret: 80mm
    Thick @ 12 fret: 26mm
    Width @24th fret: 93mm
    String spacing nut B - C: 44.5mm
    String spacing bridge B-C: 94mm

So, yeah, the string spacing at the nut is slightly narrower than the TRB, although the board is about the same width.
    To me, the width at the bridge is more important, though. I prefer 19mm there, and I don't mind a narrower nut spacing.

I'd give this bass an AA rating, apart from the fretwork that I would give a A-. It is good but could be slightly better some places. Contact me for details, and I'll send you pictures to explain what I mean. But it is a fast and playable bass, so although it might not be 100% perfect, it's definitely very very playable. :bassist:

20. Kevin W Guin

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    So, Mr. Walker, do you still have your TRB-6? Just wondering if you were going to go back to lavishing your attention on it if you can get rid of the Pulcinella.

...guess I am scheming here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.