1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: Mbasses M3 custom fretless 5 (Buckeye Burl)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ricky Caboverde, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I hate to do this, but up for sale is my beloved bass built by Terryville, CT luthier, Jon Maghini (M Basses). This bass was built in 2006 when he was making custom basses.

For those who are not familiar with Jon... since the beginning of this year, he began only taking orders for high-end jazz basses on par with Sadowsky jazzes (Bass Specialties :: Basses). His M3 model was introduced in 2005-06 and went through one revision...this is earlier body style of which he only mad 25 basses. The top is beautiful exhibition grade Buckeye Burl; the body is Black Walnut; the 24-fret maple-lined fingerboard, pickups and knobs are made of Macassar Ebony. The quality of this bass is just as good as any Fodera, Elrick, F-bass etc and will currently cost you over $5500 to get a bass made by him with these features (ask for his current pricelist!). The pickups are hand-wound dual-coil pickups by Kent Armstrong and the preamp is a powerful 9v three-band Aguilar OBP-3 with mid-selector (250-800hz). The pickups are individually wired with a push-pull separate volume knob to offer series/parallel operation for each.

This bass is a phenomenal instrument and was not hanging on the wall as decoration but rather used every week as a player's bass - its condition shows this. There are various dings and minor scratches on the back, sides, and top, but thanks to the oil finish, these are not very noticeable. It is currently setup nice and low with DR Sunbeams by local luthier extraordinaire, Alex Jones. It comes with a Levy's M-basses gig bag that is in decent shape (small pocket near headstock has the bottom torn). I'm asking $OLD anywhere in the states (no Int'l for the moment). If you live in or near Miami, please feel free to contact me to check out the bass.

More pics here: Mbasses pictures by WALFREAK - Photobucket

2011-03-22_23-43-22_168.
    mfret3.
    mfret1-1.
    mfret4.

2. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Some important info I forgot to include :)
    Scale 35”
    Width at the nut 1-7/8"
    width at 24th fret 3-1/16"
    width at bridge 0.75" or 19mm

3. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    New Years Bump :)
    ...probably a bad time to sell a highend bass right after the madness of Christmas season ;)

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    WOW!!!!!

5. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    BUMP!
    The price is firm, sorry...it hurts to even sell it this low(!)

6. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    As requested...added a link in OP of wear and tear. The issues are hard to photograph but should show: wear by neck pickup where the thumb rest and under the G-string (swirly marks); wear by the input jack; wear by the bottom strap button on the back; some small dings on the neck; wear on the sides. Nothing big at all and most of this somewhat disappears after I polish it up with Ken Smith Classic Wax - just honest wear for a well-cared-for but well used bass 5yr old bass.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Beautiful! What are you looking for in trades? What is the weight?

8. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    PMd ya Nicky...
    and for others interested:
    this bass is light for a 5er...I'm guessing around 8.5 lbs. My dearly missed '84 G&L wunkay weighed quite a bit more.
    Also, I am mainly looking for cash more than trades. So if you have anything to offer, please keep in mind that I need
    a good chunk of my selling price.

9. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Gone! She will be missed :crying:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.