1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: Modulus Quantum SweetSpot 5--FINAL PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Schizoid75, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Up for grabs is my Modulus Quantum 5 Sweet Spot. If I recall correctly, I snagged this one off e-bay about a year ago. It was gigged with a couple of times a month for the first 6 months or so, but has seen little use since then. The condition when I purchased it was about 9/10 and nothing has changed since. I've surveyed the bass and can't find anything wrong with it other than some slight swirls in the finish.

Speaking of the finish, it's Modulus' beautiful pink over blue finish on top of quilted maple. Absolutely gorgeous and these pics don't do it justice. It's pre-truss rod days, but the neck is dead straight with low action and no buzz with my light to medium touch. Single EMG 40DC. Bass and treble boost and cut. 17mm string spacing at the bridge with a 35" scale. Dunlop straplocks, but it accepts standard straps, too. Good balance and the bathroom scale is quoting 8.5-9lb.

I believe I paid $1300 plus shipping. Okay this is the last price drop! From $1300 I'm now asking only $1150 shipped to anywhere in the continental US!! Paypal is fine as are personal checks, cashier's checks, or money orders. I will wait for personal checks to clear before shipping.

NEW 5/24/09!!--I will also start considering trades, preferably a trade plus cash. See my post regarding trades on page 2.

Feel free to hit me up with and questions.

Thanks!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Where are you located?

Would you have any interest in trades?

3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm in Columbus, Ohio. Not really looking for trades right now. The reason for the sale is get some cash to start a custom build.

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Forgot to mention it, but the bass does come with a Modulus hard shell case. It's got a small crack at the bottom of the shell, but it doesn't affect anything. The case opens and closes as normal and protects the bass very well.

5. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    It seems every has already spent their refund checks, so let the price drops begin!

Now $1,200 shipped to the lower 48.

If anyone wants more pics, I'm happy to take some.

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    This bass is a freakin steal at that price bump.

7. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    No one wants to steal this bass from me! Oh, well! BUMP!

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    what year is this one?

9. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have the warranty registration card. The serial number is 962258 and for "date manufactured" it lists 3/1/96. Wow. I just realized that it's got the old Modulus online info on it, too: www.dnai.com/~modulus and modulus@dnai.com That takes me back! I bought my first Modulus around 1999, but I remember checking them out online at the old address.

10. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  11. tourtom

tourtom

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm interested in your Bass but would like to know a bit more about it. Does this Bass have a truss rod in the neck? Also, can you please tell me a bit more about the electronics. Finally, is it 100% Factory Original or have there been modifications to the parts and/or electronics through the years? Thanks, Man - much appreciated. By the way - I just read your first text about "no truss rod" - sorry - QUESTION - I thought that these Sweet Spots had some kind of pickup built into the bridge or something.

12. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    As you said, no truss rod. I'm not sure of the exact year, but Modulus started adding truss rods in the later 90's I believe. I've owned three Quantums, one with a truss rod and two without. I never had a problem with any of them. The neck is very straight and is set up right now with very low action. It sounds beautiful and full with a lighter touch, but when you dig in you get a very aggressive sound sort of like Stanley Clarke. Obviously you can still raise the bridge saddles up to change things up a bit.

As for the electronics, the pickup is an EMG 40DC. It's an active pickup. I love EMG's because they have such low noise and I never get any sort of hum or interference. It has an EMG-BTS active EQ circuit, so you've got one knob for bass boost or cut and another knob for treble boost or cut. I like the tone flat, but you have those options if you want them.

Finally, I'm not the original owners of the bass, but I don't see any modifications. Everything seems to be completely stock.

As for the Sweet Spot name, I believe that's in reference to the single pickup location. I'm not aware of any piezo pickup option on any Modulus Quantum models. The sweet spot refers to the Music Man pickup location--a little further towards the neck than a "traditional" two pickup bass.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any other questions.

13. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    In case anyone is unsure on this price, here's a Quantum Sweet Spot that Bass Northwest is selling. It's used, too, and the only differences I can see is that it's a clear finish, it has gold hardware, and it has a Bart instead of an EMG. $1599, or roughly $400 more than this one and I think you still have to pay shipping on theirs!

http://bassnw.com/Used Basses/modulus_quantum_sweetspot_5_st.htm

14. this price is unheard of to be honest. the only thing I can figure as to why you didn't sell it 30 seconds after listing it, is it might be the finish. its pretty niche. The same person that buys a pink bass is the same musician that buys a custom lakland with a seafoam green finish. I've only owned 1 modulus and it was a genesis. I wonder around what year they started putting the double soapbars with the 3 band eq's in,along wth the truss neck?

who knows. maybe all you needed was a bump. good luck man.

15. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    This one is a 1996. Modulus started making necks with truss-rods in 1998 and had been making 2-pickup models for many years prior.

Let me know if you hear from customer service about the warranty. Thanks

16. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    That finish is the biggest draw for me... I'm just shy of being able to grab this. It's killing me. :bawl:

17. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe it's the finish. I think it looks stunning in person. You can almost swim in that thing, it looks so deep. Plus, it's not pink like a Daisy Rock guitar or something like that. Depending on the lighting conditions it appears pinkish, purple, blue, or even a little red.

18. yeah the quilt top quantums always dazzled me in whatever color. I just love how loose they feel in your hands.

don't be shy nick, snap it up. its literally a steal at that price. trends be damned.

19. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've never received a reply from Modulus regarding any warranty on the neck, but I did catch this after reading the back of the warranty card. They have a limited lifetime warranty on the neck for the ORIGINAL owner. So that's been done for quite a while. In any case, the neck is as solid as a rock, as all the Quantum necks I've played (3) have been.

20. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'd love to, but I simply do not have the cash for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.