1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS/FT MTD 535-21 Myrtle/Black Lima 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by thomasjbass, Aug 23, 2012.

1. This is an absolutely killer bass that was obtained from a friend of mine here on TB. This bass is absolutely flawless, beautifully made, and has giant tonal capabilities. I hate to sell this one but I would like for her to go to a home that get a little more attention, and the only attention. MTD's have a very signature sound and feel to them and this beauty is no exception. I have never seen a body quite like this one, so this is your opportunity to own one of the nicest MTDs I have ever been lucky enough to foster parent. Please feel free to ask any questions via PM or PM me and I can give you my telephone number as well if you are more comfortable chatting about the bass. I am asking $3175 + shipping in the CONUS. The only basses that I would be interested in trading for would be: Cliff Bordwell Exotic Top 5 String B or Single Cut, Pavel Aryel, USA MTD Saratoga 5 String, or a Alleva Coppolo LG 5. If you really have something you think I would be interested in feel free to throw it past me, but I am going to be a bit picky on this one. And remember, cash is king.

Bass Specifications:
    MTD 535-21 Custom 5 String Bass
    Model: 535-21
    Serial Number: 1937
    Body: Black Limba
    Body Top: Myrtle Burl
    Neck Wood: Wenge
    Fretboard: Wenge
    Pickups: Bartolini Soapbar Humbuckers
    Preamp: Bartolini Custom Pre for MTD
    "The pickups and active electronics are a proprietary design for MTD made by Bill Bartolini which consist of a master volume and pan pot, treble, mid, bass cut and boost, with center click (from neck to bridge). The three position switch selects the mid range cut and boost point. Down is lower mids, center is middle and up is upper mids. When the mid pot is at center click, the switch has minimal effect. The EQ has 2 batteries and is a +/- 9 volt system."
    Scale: 35"
    Frets: 21
    Weight: 8.85lbs
    Case: Yes, MTD Brown HSC
    Asking Price: $3175 + Shipping CONUS

Eye Candy:

IMG_3828.

IMG_3829.

IMG_3830.

IMG_3831.

IMG_3832.

IMG_3833.

IMG_3834.

IMG_3835.

2. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Nice! Wish it was a 24...

3. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow!

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Boy that is nice!

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Beautiful and light! Black limba and wenge make for a great combination.

6. Pics are taking a while to load or not loading. Still from the looks of the back and the general quality of the instruments that I have soon you offer, it deserves a BUMP!!!!

7. Sorry about that Hot Pocket, all the pics are hi-res and I notice they do take a little while to load sometimes. If anyone needs them, please feel free to email me at thomasjrowley@gmail.com. I am also always available via phone, so PM and I can give you my phone number to talk or text. Thanks again to everyone for the very nice compliments. I am hoping to sell this one soon.

Thanks!
    Thomas J.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    AHHH... I regret selling this one...

Hope it finds a happy home!

9. I think I am going to regret selling her too SLaPiNFuNK. Looking forward to letting someone fall in love with her :) TGIF.

10. I have posted some new basses for sale or trade (pedulla, roscoe, surine, warrior, human, elrick) and also have some high end Gibson Historic Les Pauls, SGs and Fender Custom Shop Strats as well. If anything is worth discussing +/- cash, let me know.

If nothing else, ENJOY THE FREE BUMP! You have a great collection.

11. Thanks Hot Pocket! I greatly appreciate that. You still have one that I am definitely considering but you haven't posted it yet :)

12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I just realized that you had an Aguilar onboard in this. Did Mike do the installation from the factory? I always thought Mike's passive Bart pickups needed to be mated with that specific Bart pre-amp to get enough output. I know the versioning has changed over the years though so this may be a moot point.

13. I will confirm that with Mike today Joel. Since I am not the original owner I am not certain how it was originally installed. I will update the thread accordingly as soon as I hear back.

14. I have to make a correction, as I was a little misguided on this one, my apologies. Per both my own review, a previous owners insight, and details from Mike here is what I found: the electronics are still the original Bartolini made electronics for MTDs. Here is a note from the MTD website that gives a bit more detail into both the Pre and the Pickups.

"The pickups and active electronics are a proprietary design for MTD made by Bill Bartolini which consist of a master volume and pan pot, treble, mid, bass cut and boost, with center click (from neck to bridge). The three position switch selects the mid range cut and boost point. Down is lower mids, center is middle and up is upper mids. When the mid pot is at center click, the switch has minimal effect. The EQ has 2 batteries and is a +/- 9 volt system."

15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    That makes much more sense. Thanks for adding that.

16. Bump for some great offers but nothing solid quite yet...

17. I love this one. I have a ton of stuff to offer - wish some of it would work.

BUMP or a beauty!

18. Thank you for the offer. I'm actually selling a NJS5 right now so I wouldn't need another one. Really the only basses I would be interested in would be an NYC Sadowsky Jazz, another MTD but a 535-24 with similar specs, an Exotic F bass without maple on the board, or maybe a Bordwell b or single cut.

19. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thomas, I love the look of this bass (and the wood combo). If I had the extra money lying around I wouldn't think twice.

20. Thank you do much. I think someone is gonna be very happy with this one.