1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT Nordy VJ-5 Classic + A Survival Story and a Great deal, Remember Carey's Bass?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Montanamike, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson

Dec 23, 2009
    Hill City, SD USA
    Then: Last winter I was in a bind, I had a bunch of Christmas shows to do and didn't have a 5 string. I called around a bit and ended up talking with Carey Nordstrand. I told him what I needed and he told me he didn't have anything and so I moved on.

He called me back fairly soon and told me he would sell me his personal Jazz bass because he was really digging the P bass thing at that time. The color is a one off and Carey called it Mazda Blue. I guess he drives a Miata this color and he had it matched. The color is a one of a kind. It also has a very rare one piece birdseye neck and a “prototype” Nordy 2 band preamp.

So here it is, Carey Nordstrand’s personal jazz bass. Now with a story. I bought it as new and the condition was flawless. The sound is full, articulate and it plays flawlessly. The fretwork is impeccable and the action is very low. I currently have a set of 70’s wind single coils installed in custom covers, built by Nordstrand. I also have a set of big singles for this bass. Both sound amazing, I prefer the little less aggressive tone provided by the Jazz Pups. I will sell with either set installed and if you want both, add $125.

Last July "the Saga": So I sold the bass and it was headed out to its new owner in LA. Then I received the dreaded call when the bass arrived. The neck was damaged during shipping and it blew out the skunk stripe. See the pictures. The paint also cracked at the v of the neck joint, nonstructural.

Well I got the bass back and got a quote for a new neck from Nordy for about 1200, non birdseye. I decided to give a repair a shot so it was refit, glued, clamped and the finish was filled in. It worked great. BTW I am a trained repair tech. It has been perfectly stable for 7 months and it plays great. The only noticeable difference is that the skunk stripe is now flat with the neck back not radiused. It feels like a ding. It doesn’t bug me and I’m anal.

Here are the specs. This bass is $4,550 new.
    *Nordy VJ-5 Classic
    *Custom Mazda Blue Metallic Paint
    *34” Scale
    * 1.81 nut width
    * Bone Nut
    * 19mm string spacing
    * High-gloss finish on neck
    * One piece birdseye maple neck with skunk stripe 9”-14” compound radius
    * Vintage size frets
    * Hipshot vintage bridge
    * 2 pick guards, 1 pearl white, 1 Black w/ play wear
    * Nordstrand 2 band preamp. Frequency id selectable on the board
    * Vintage tone control
    * Currently set up VVT Bass/Treble
    * 70’s position
    * 9 lbs. 13 oz.
    * Dunlop strap buttons

$1,200 OBRO shipped and insured in the ConUS. Add 125 for extra PUP. No case.
    Paypal is fine or a USPS money order.
    International is OK if the Buyer pays all additional fees, taxes, shipping, tariffs, etc.

Trades: Hit me up, I’m a bit of a sucker. I can always entertain other ideas, ya never know.

DSCN0520. DSCN0536.

DSCN0515. DSCN0533. DSCN0524. DSCN0527.

Neck damage.
    Neck%2520Broken.

Neck repair: The milky part of the crack is where the finish was damaged. It is flush with the neck also, the milky appearance didn't go away though.
    fixed%25201.

Neck Joiny v finish crack. Both sides
    upper%2520paint%2520crack. Lower%2520paint%2520crack.

Nonstructural
    upper%2520inner.

2. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    put me in line

3. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson

Dec 23, 2009
    Hill City, SD USA
    Sold pending payment

4. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dang it!

5. Unreal.

Why do I always find these threads next day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.