1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS/FT: One of a kind '81 Ibanez Roadster w/ awesome Wilkins refinish

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I picked this up a few years ago and almost sold it a couple times. Then I decided to get it refinished by Pat Wilkins (it was originally boring ol' black.)

These are becoming increasingly sought after, so I'm not in a huge rush to sell it. It's a 1981 Ibanez Roadster, made in Japan. This is a sweet, unique bass, but like the bass playin' dog I am, I always have my eye on new things...

I had the body completely refinished by Pat Wilkins in a gorgeous red that fades into a darker red. His finish work is flawless and the color is absolutely beautiful but I have my eyes on other things and this baby doesn't get played much.

The frets have some wear, but they have alot of life left in them. Nice low action with no fret buzz. There is some wear on top of the headstock and the usual small chips/cracks here and there in the neck finish. Nothing to the wood. Overall, while it is certainly in pretty good condition for a 29 year old bass.

P and J creme-colored pickups... pretty sure they are DiMarzios. They are the original pickups and sound great. The controls are; P-pickup volume, J-pickup volume, master tone, Preamp boost volume, 3 way pickup selector switch, and series/parallel switch for the P-bass pickup.

Previous owner added large mother of pearl dot inlays on the neck (one of them is a little wonky looking -tried to get pics - it's not that noticeable), and did the custom mountain scape inlay on the headstock. Everything else original. It comes with the original Ibanez hardshell case (with awesome green interior!) The case is missing the leather on one side, but I've covered the whole thing in stickers anyway. It is completely battered and worn, but the latches work and it serves its purpose.

I've added chrome Schaller straplocks and can throw in a black Planet Waves strap if you wish. I strung it yesterday with brand new DR Black Beauties.

$550 shipped o.b.o. lower 48. The Wilkins finish alone cost me $300. I will certainly consider any offer. PM or better yet, e-mail if interested.

TRADE BAIT
    -Loaded Fender body (must have two pickups - prefer older U.S., Japanese, P/J, J/J, or P/H pickup configuration but will consider all)

-5-string bass, prefer something higher end or semi-boutique especially anything neck-through.

-G&L L2000 with heavily-figured birdseye maple neck AND fretboard, OR macassar ebony fretboard.

-I'm a sucker for anything with exotic woods, ESPECIALLY heavily[.U]-figured birdseye maple, macassar ebony, nicely-grained pau ferro, bubinga, bloodwood, purpleheart, etc etc.

-Run literally anything by me, the worst I can say is "no thanks."

International sale is OK but you will pay actual shipping costs to your address and I will not make any special arrangements to avoid customs fees, duties, etc. Also the bass will arrive in two pieces--neck and body and I won't be able to include the case internationally. I reserve the right to pull any of these items off the market at any time.

Pics added - WOW this baby photographs well :D

Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20001.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20002.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20003.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20004.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20005.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20006.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20007.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20008.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20009.
    Ibanez%20Roadster%20-%20crimson%20010.

2. gpc2

gpc2

May 17, 2007
    Any interest in a Musicman SUB 5er, passive?

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    PM/email sent

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I think I've got my five-string needs met, but thanks for the offers, guys.

5. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    Bump for the coolest headstock ever.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks Andy!

7. morguedoc71

morguedoc71 Supporting Member

May 22, 2009
    Hey! I've got a KILLER neck that would go well with that, lol...:D

Bump for a great seller (and the coolest headstock ever)!

8. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Nice. The irony is I'd buy it if it were black! I'm looking for a black one.

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Heh actually that neck you got from me was from a Blazer and they have different neck pockets. I tried to put the Roadster neck on the Blazer body and it didn't really work... :meh:

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Last bump or I keep it!

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Decided to keep it.