1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT Price Drop Relist: Tom Clement Kim Fretless 5, #231 (soundclips included)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Kwesi, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relist of an older thread. Buy this bass. You want it. It wants you. It all works out!

BODY:: Ash
    TOP:: Quilted Redwood
    NECK:: Maple
    FINGERBOARD:: Bloodwood
    STRINGS:: La'Bella Black Nylon Tape Wounds
    PICKUPS:: Bartolini Classic Bass
    ELECTRONICS:: Bartolini NTMB 3-band (blend is wired backwards cuz I'm a lazy klutz :p)
    SCALE:: 34 inch. 24 fretlines
    STRING SPACING:: 19mm

5829694341_1fd7ed5829_z.jpg

5830241316_eb64570797_z.jpg

5830246474_5783748958_z.jpg

5829692859_0b74d2dd7e_z.jpg

Soundclips:

By request, here's a quick and dirty clip. First run is the with the pan in the center, next is the neck pickup and finally the bridge pickup. I'll be putting up another one later.

http://tindeck.com/listen/rrzj

More Clips:

http://tindeck.com/listen/toyo

http://tindeck.com/listen/dqtd

Tonally, it's VERY similar to #170, which you can hear here: Fender American Deluxe Jazz FMT vs. Tom Clement Fretless Bass Comparison - YouTube

It sounds a little fatter down low and in the low mids though.

I'm thinking $1700 shipped in the CONUS (in a Brubaker HSC). International shipping on the buyers dime.

Trade rules:

-Fretted 5 or 6 strings ONLY
    -Only looking to trade down or for something I can sell quickly otherwise
    -Primarily interested in Jazz basses or PJs
    -What I want most: a Squier VM Jazz 5

2. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Wow. How tempting. I had a Clement once and recall it having one of the BEST necks of any bass I've played. That bass is stunning.

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Gorgeous bass!!!

4. Is the string spacing adjustable?

5. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    What I've got to trade is fretted, and it's a P (Elite II) but, alas, it only has but four strings, poor thing...:(

6. Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Yep, you get a good bit of play with the Hipshot bridges. You could definitely get down to 18mm, maybe 17?

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    That looks like it would feel great!:bassist:

8. It does, man. The thing plays like an absolute dream. Usually, feel isn't a HUGE thing for me but going from this bass to any other, the difference is pretty big.

9. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

PM sent

10. Responded!

11. PM'd

12. Replied!

13. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Absolutely gorgeous bass! I'm thinking a Clement is in my future. If only Kwesi would teach me how to play fretless.:D

14. Haha, you gotta come down my way and try this thing out, man!

15. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish I had the cash!

16. So do I :).

17. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    Bump for review.

Kwesi took time to drop by my place today so I could try this bass. It just sounds amazing, beautiful. I don't have any experience on fretless, but the fingerboard is very easy to navigate. It's string with LaBella tapes which just ... sing. I can't put it any other way.

This bass sounds exactly what you want a fretless to sound like. The neck is effortless to play... Clements have an asymmetric neck so a fiver with 19mm spacing doesn't feel like it.

You want this bass. Banks are closed on Sunday else I'd have been in serious danger. Buy it before I do!

And thanks Kwesi!

18. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Glad you enjoyed the bass.

19. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Kwesi send me those last 2 clips. I would like to put them on the site if that is OK with you......t

20. @Ian - It was a great time! That Ying Yang is REALLY something special. I guess I should thank you renewing my Fodera gas. A 5 string Emporer or Monarch would be great :)

@Tom - Sure thing, man. As soon as I'm home I'll send them to ya. Glad you like them :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.