1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: Project Ibanez SR506 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TheEmptyCell, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Long story for this one, for the sake of full disclosure.

I bought this bass new in 2005, when they re-released this model. It has Bartolini MK1 pickups and preamp, and is the lighter finish that they no longer make (only lasted a year, I think). Same, soft and easily dented finish as the newer ones.

Over a year ago, my wife and I defretted it, and filled the slots with hardening wood putty. The fingerboard was then sanded down to 320 grit and a dark stain was applied, first to the fretlines to help blend them in. After the stain was applied until the fingerboard was virtually line free, I applied brush-on polyurethane. Some of the spots didn't dry properly (they may have been areas holding some oil, somehow, never diagnosed it) so I sanded it back down to wood.

The fretboard isn't perfectly even. Once you get up to the 17th fretline, you 'fret-out' because the end of the fingerboard isn't level with the rest. I also think that the inlays didn't sand as low as the rest of the fingerboard, so you get some buzz off of them. The bottom of the nut was roughly sanded down to lower the action a bit.

IMGP2991.

IMGP2993.

IMGP3460.

IMGP3465.

IMGP3468. As you can see, a new nut would be in order, though this one is workable.

IMGP3470. What you see in the dark, splotchiness is stain. Could be sanded off to give a clean appearance again.

DISCLAIMER: This bass will need work if you want to gig it. It IS playable, however. I had plans to get a sanding block and finish it, but I'm not a very good fretless player. I can get some different pics, but I can't promise they'll be great, or quick.

I'd like to get $200 plus shipping, with the neck removed. Trades: 8-string (octaved) bass (or Warmoth neck and Schaller 471 bridge), Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass, umm... run anything by me, I guess.

2. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hows the weight/balance on this?

It sounds like my kind of project actually... ;)

3. looks like it needs to be re sanded and epoxy'd

a little time and a good deal

4. TheEmptyCell

Balance is good. I just realized I don't have the top strap button installed, I'll have to dig around for it, but it tends to be a tab bit body-heavy, if anything, which holds it in a comfortable playing position on a strap.

Weight is about 9 pounds on the digital bathroom scale. I played it for a moment, and it does sound nice, great mwah. Strings are D'addario nickel, practically brand new.

5. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Sure wish I had the cash for this one! Been GASing for a fretless the past few weeks since my co-worker let me borrow one of his. Unfortunately baby #3 is on the way, so funds are low! Bump for a killer deal.

6. TheEmptyCell

Thanks for the kind words all. It will make a killer bass, I guarantee that... it was my main bass for over 2 years before I got others and this one went to the wayside. I figured defretting would get it played more, but I'm bad enough at fretless 4, so this just increases the suck by 50%.

7. M2roger

M2roger

Aug 22, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    This could make an interesting project. What is the dark streak in the body? It looks like a curiously well defined stripe.

8. TheEmptyCell

Yes, forgot to mention the stripe. I sanded it down (the thick stripe) and colored it in with a Sharpie. This made covering up marks from popping much easier (apply more Sharpie). It's a little dug-out in the exact spot where popping occurred, as I tried to sand it down.

9. TheEmptyCell

BUMP!

10. Do the Bartolini pickups say "Bartolini" on them? Can't see from the picture.

Z

11. TheEmptyCell

Yes, pickups say Bartolini on the lower right hand corner.

12. TheEmptyCell

Bump! I can get some better pictures if anyone is interested.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Any interest in a Yamaha BB450 4 string with a TRB 3 band preamp and a Bartolini soupbar in the bridge?

14. TheEmptyCell

Can you PM me with pics and info (nut width, age, etc.)?

15. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I'll get the info and pics together and PM you.

16. TheEmptyCell

End of the weekend bump!

17. TheEmptyCell

More pictures have been added!!!

18. TheEmptyCell

BUMP

19. TheEmptyCell

Bump!

20. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Any interest in selling the loaded body and possibly the tuners? I have an Ibanez fretted 5 string neck, would have to see if they're interchangeable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.