1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: SAMAMP tube preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by funkometer, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Selling my SAMAMP bass tube preamp. These preamps are made right here in Birmingham Al by Sam Timberlake. He is well known for his boutique guitar amps and cabinets, but also makes a killer bass pre.

You could say this amp sounds similar to a B-15,SVT, SVP Pro, another TB'r describes it as 'like an A-Designs REDDI w/ tone controls and more gain.' It can go anywhere from clean, to a lil dirty to full on distortion. I normally use this preamp with my TF750A, going straight into the poweramp, and have been very happy. Great for slap and fingerstyle. The samamp sounds great in the studio as well. The settings I normally use are shown in the pic, aside from the master level...

For other descriptions of the Samamp, check here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584976&highlight=samamp.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623815&highlight=samamp

All of Sam's designs share the same innards, but the chassis differ. Mine has been upgraded as well to the last and most current version Sam has said hes happy with his most current version, so no more upgrades. Mine is in a smaller box format (13in by 5.5 by 2.5), so its very easy to carry around.

Features: 1 12ax7 and 1 12au7 preamp tubes
    -Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, the treble on my pre has a pull detent to further shape that frequency band, unlike other SAMAMPS
    -2 separate outputs w/ volume control for each.
    -All point-to-point wiring and top spec parts, no circuit boards here!!

Im looking for $400 shipped conus. Only reason Im selling is because im gassing for a few things at the moment, I know I can always grab another from Sam if needed! Amp is in great condition, it had a checkup with Sam about a month ago. Feel free to ask any questions! trades im looking for are UL210 S1, or Enigma Q-balls and BOSS RC2.

Attached Files:

2. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    PM sent

3. Bump for a fellow Bhammer and an awesome pre! Just an fyi for non-locals....Sam is a local legend for making guitar amps and bass preamps. His guitar amps will blow anything away you put it up against tone wise...my old guitarist had one. His bass preamps follow the same path too....sound great.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    bump for a fellow B'hamian with a sick preamp that I have also had the pleasure of owning. If I didn't have an Ampeg B-15n in my possession then I would snap this off of Taylor in a second!

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Watching... I just wish it had a balanced output!

6. Im curious why you cant use a unbalanced output on a Board?
    I have done it and been really happy with the results.

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Well, you could- but I'm more interested in using the SamAmp as a studio tool. While it's easy enough to run it into a direct box or direct to a convertor (assuming the output is hot enough), I'd really benefit a LOT more from a more streamlined built-in xlr out capable of line level. One less piece of gear in the chain- I'd really like to use it as the final stage before a/d conversion.

8. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Questions:

-Is the 'Sensitivity' a gain control and, if so, does it add any grit/clipping if turned up?

- Is the eq section a passive Fender tone stack, or is it an active boost/cut type?

- I seem to remember that Sam indicated that adding an xlr out was an option. If so, how much would he charge for this mod?

Cheers!

9. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Sensitivity is a gain control, and yes, the more you turn it up the more it will grit and go into distortion. Both outputs are hot enough for any application youd ever need.
    Bump

10. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Thanks! That's great!

Any info on the eq?

11. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I REALLY want to buy this thing,.. just need more info.

12. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'll chime in as another SAMAMP Preamp Owner...the EQ is the Fender Passive Tone Stack similar to an Alembic or Trace Elliot V-Type preamp. Incredible sounding preamp these Samamps! Funkometer is barely doing the overdrive/distortion capability of this unit justice. He did some clips of the unit a while back and posted them on the SAMAMP Preamp thread. This thing will go from smooth B-15 preamp to full on girthy distortion

13. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Thank you! Now I just need to do some research on how expensive integrating an xlr out would be...

14. I wouldnt think that it would be very hard for a tech to install a DI on one of these units.

15. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Thanks for the added info!

16. relwof

relwof

May 7, 2010
    Marietta, GA
    one word : duct tape :D

Seriously though, it looks like that box might have enough room to pull the guts out of a stand-alone DI and hide it inside, if you're into that kind of project. If you're willing to go with a 1/4" TRS instead of an XLR jack, that makes it even easier to fit and to mod the case. Anyone got pics of one with the cover off?

17. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I thought about this... I definitely need the xlr capable of line level as well.. so it would have to be an active balanced circuit. I bet my friend at DaveHall amps would be able to put something compact together. Hmmm....

18. Here is one of several pics of the inside of these Samamps,this is a Different case I believe it is a Ham Radio case but it appears to be similar in size other than the 2 tubes were located externally.
    PICT0137.

19. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Come on people...give this Pre a try! It is boutique quality and I would pick this pre over a Trace Elliot V-Type, Alembic, Eden, Aguilar, or Demeter! Really smokin' preamp that gives you a thick, full, and even tone.

20. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.