Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS/FT: Sei Bass 5-string fretless in UK!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Alas, it seems in order to feed my current GAS for Spectors that my lovely Sei Bass 5-string fretless will have to go. :( I guess I don't play fretless enough to warrant having it, so it should go to a good home with someone who is more into the fretless vibe than me.

Anyway, about the bass. It's a fairly early Sei Flamboyant (serial no. 015) made by Martin Petersen and Chris McIntyre at The Gallery in Camden. The specification is:

Headed "Flamboyant" body style
    Black walnut/maple laminated through-neck
    Flame maple body wings
    Ebony front and back facings
    Ebony unlined fingerboard with side dot markers
    18mm string spacing at bridge
    Wal pickups and electronics (full set including XLR output)
    Gotoh machine heads and Schaller bridge in black

If you can't get a good fretless tone out of this bass, then you won't get a good tone out of any bass. The bass plays like butter and sounds amazing. It is also completely unmarked and in perfect condition.

So, I'm looking for £1000 for the bass, or I will consider an exchange for a 5-string Spector Euro 5 LX (or even a USA 5-string... :) ).

There's an info page on the bass at the Sei Bass website at:

http://www.seibass.com/blackflam.html

... and I've attached a picture of it.

Russ :bassist:

2. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Nice bass! I'm sure it sounds great.

3. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    How about a p/ex for a G & L 2500 in cherry burst with the 3 + 2 headstock and ash/tilia body?

4. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    OMG... WOW, That is sexy!

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    WOW I love that bass. I remember seeing it a long time ago. Without ever having played it, I would call that my favorite fretless of all time! Seriously love the woods, electronics, and design. No one has snagged this yet? :confused:

Wishing I was in the UK.
    Marshall :(

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Nope, nobody's had it yet... :(

As well as a Spector, I'll also consider an exchange for a recent-ish model Chapman Stick (with fret rods and the adjustable bridge)... :)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Gah! I've got a '96 Grand with the standard frets. :bawl:

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Hmmmm.. :)

PM sent...

9. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    That bass is as stunning as it is unique! What is the scale length?

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It's a 34" scale, but it's got a really solid B string, even for me, as I often tune it down to A. :)

11. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    Interested in a trade for a 6 string warwick thumb 1990, wenge neck, high figured bulbinga and bartolini pickups. i can email pictures if not interest in the trade i do still want to buy.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey Russ - did you get my PMs? If you don't want to go through with the trade anymore, that's cool. Just let me know so I can send the Stick back to the guy who was borrowing it from me. Thanks.