SOLD FS/FT: Skjold Custom Exotic 5 - Beautiful Burled Redwood Top!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Walbodiddy, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarification: This bass is a Custom series. I had thought a top like this only came in the Exotic line but Pete set me straight. Another feature of Skjold basses - Pete's excellent customer service isn't limited to his shop! Thanks, Pete!

GAS claims another victim... this incredible instrument is now up for sale to fund the cravings of my lust to try every bass on the market. I'm sure many of you know the feeling... :)

Skjold needs little introduction - this is a top-of-the-line instrument in every way. This bass is in excellent+ condition. I could list it as mint but I would rather be totally up front -there is a very small ding in the top of the headstock (not the front, but actually on the top, so it's very inconspicuous). It took me weeks just to notice it. No player wear, no scratches, no buckle rash.

The top is a gorgeous burled redwood (this is the top that convinced me to like burled redwood!) The body is ash, with a great figure as well. The neck is 5-piece maple and purpleheart with a bloodwood fingerboard. This bass was fretted by Brian Barrett of The Low End. The fretwork is excellent - frets are smooth, even and shiny. If there is any fret-wear, it is very light. This bass has matching redwood and ash pickup covers and redwood control knobs. For those who appreciate trivia, Pete said that this was the first Skjold built with these options.

I should also mention that this is bass is incredibly well-balanced and feels very light (I'd say that it is very light but I don't have a scale and it could be the perfect balance that makes it feel so light). I've had no neck dive. Honestly, every time I pick it up I'm impressed by how light it feels.

As for sound, there's a lot to try to describe here - Pete's electronics are versatile to the point that this bass can sound distinctly different, like a different instrument rather than just a different pickup or EQ setting.

Unplugged, this bass has a very resonant, smooth, woody tone. All of the Skjolds I've played have shared this resonance - you can actually feel the note resonating through the body. This translates into great passive tones, with the neck pickup putting a out a great old-school funk vibe, reminescent of Stanley Clarke's tone, to my ear. In passive, the bridge pickup gets a burbly, airy sound with very present, sweet harmonics. Engaging the active electronics is like a magnifying glass for the passive sounds. The fundamental character is preserved but the sound gets bigger, more hi-fi and more pronounced. Set flat, active mode is much brighter and snappier than passive, with more low end. The brightness can be dialed out subtly with the active eq or really rolled down, to kind of a cross between the modern active tone and vintage passive tone with the passive roll-off. In active mode, the bass puts out a great modern sound - plenty of snappy growl when slapping or digging in or a round, sweet, singing tone with a lighter touch. This bass can create a truly impressive tonal palette - the electronics are the most versatile I have seen.

I'll accept payment via PayPal (eCheck preferred), cash or money order. Local pickup is available and I'll drive up to 50 miles to meet you. Will ship with a gig bag. Buyer pays actual shipping costs. Will ship internationally.

As for trades, I'm looking for 6-string fretted only. Skjold, F, Benavente, Sukop, Nordstrand, Stambaugh, pre-Gibson Tobias. + cash on either end, as necessary. I'll consider other trades as well, but this is what I'm looking for.

This bass is valued at over $3500 new. Price dropped to $1875.

EC5-RedwoodTopNew-1.gif
    Wife's bedspread not for sale :)

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'd borrow some others to try out and keep this one. Stunning!

3. I know...

I will regret letting this one go. That's why I have to make sure whatever replaces it is up to the task of helping me through the seller's remorse.
    :rollno::)

4. 4 + 1 is lower

4 + 1 is lower

Oct 11, 2007
    Virginia
    That's on the top 5 list of most beautiful tops ever. Disgustingly pretty.

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I so much don't deserve a bass that nice:p Beautiful!

6. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Whats the spacing at the bridge on that it looks really wide.

7. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    PM sent. My CS4 is longing to be with this CS5. Please don't deny it. It is destiny.:D

8. Is this the bass that was once fretless?

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Any possible Q5 action plus cash? :) Always wanted a Skjold.

10. BBE -

Edit: Standard spacing on Skjold 5s is 18mm - the angle of the picture may cause it to look wider. I can measure if you'd like, to be sure.

1/2tooth -

This bass did begin life without frets. It was fretted by Brian Barrett of The Low End prior to my purchase of it. The fretwork is excellent and it makes a great fretted bass. I don't know if some fretless basses don't convert well but this one feels and sounds like it was meant to be this way.

Rockstar -

I'll certainly give it some consideration, though Modulus isn't at the top of my list. PM me with the details and we'll see.

11. Natural light...

EC5-RedwoodBurl8.gif EC5-RedwoodBurl7.gif
    (I believe these were from Pete's shop)
    The body shot is a bit light - in person it looks more like the first shot. I posted this one to show the figure in detail.

12. Board1.gif

Back1.gif

BackNeck1.gif

13. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    I think the standard spacing on the Skjold fives is 18mm. I know TBer Vic's is anyway. How many trivia questions do I have to answer for it to come my way:D.

14. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    See how sad my cs4 looks? And from the back they look like twins. Is the guilt trip working yet?:eyebrow: If not maybe my latest PM will.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    PM'd ya.

16. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    PM X 3. Major Skjold Gas. Someone get me some antacid!

17. PMs Replied.

Saluki, I don't think your CS4 looks sad at all - it looks great! :) The guilt is heavy but I must resist for now.

I have some excellent trade offers but nothing solid yet. First with cash takes her!

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great bass. You should work something out with Saluki on his Tobias... it's a Gibson, but it was made for an artist, and compares very favorably with the pre-Gibson Tobias basses, for a lot less money than one of those would cost (typically 3K+ these days).

19. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey my offer had cash?:eyebrow: Oh, you mean all cash.:)

20. Yeah, unfortunately the bass I want most right now isn't available for trade, so cash still takes precedence. Your Tobias is a sweet bass, Saluki, but I'm really most comfortable on a 6.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.