1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT SPECIAL LAKLAND FRETLESS 5 STRING

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JEDI BASS, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I have 3 great fretless basses that I barely play and I just spent a small fortune on a gift for my wife, so I'm selling some gear.

This is a very special Korean Lakland 55-02 fretless. What makes it special???

Well, (1) it was fully assembled and setup by the legendary Carl Pedigo at Lakland in Chicago while he was still Lakland's head luthier. Skylines typically only get the pickups/preamps installed in an already assembled (overseas) bass. I'll explain further in a moment.... (2) It has (pre 2000) US Lakland Bartolini pickups and preamp that came out of one of my older US Lakland 55-94s (I think it's a '98 IIRC) that I sent to Carl to have mod'd w/ a different set of Lakland guts. Pre 2000 Bartolini US Lakland pickups are what almost all the early 4-94s and 55-94s had and are part of the reason Lakland basses rose to the top. They're fantastic hi-fi pickups! All post 2000 Laklands that have Barts will have the dark, some have said "muddy" less desirable pups and preamps. In other words, these Barts RULE and are very hard to find available. This may be the only 55-02 in existence that has pre 2000 Bart guts. Everyone in the Lakland Owners Group knows about the early Barts and how much many of us members LOVE THEM!

The build story: I used to own a Chisonic pickup / Decade prototype Skyline bass affectionately known as Shadowfax amongst us Lakland Owners Group members :). It came w/ both a fretted and a fretless neck. When I sold it, I was left w/ an orphanned 2007 fretless 55-02 neck. I called Leo at Lakland and told him that I had a set of pups and preamp, and a fretless neck. It took a couple months, but he finally called me w/ a donor body. The body had arrived from the Korean factory w/ several hairlike finish (FINISH ONLY) cracks near the string ferrules and at the back end of the bridge. So, Leo sold me the body w/ it's new bridge, ferrules, and knobs. I sent my stuff to Lakland and Carl put it together for me. He took all the (minor) wear off the fretboard and also added some straplocks to the body.

I've never gigged the bass, but I've recorded with it.... so NICE! The neck has seen more use obviously than the body and has some headstock dings. The fretboard and back of the neck are FANTASTIC and have no dings that I can find. The body and it's hardware are still minty other than the finish flaws mentioned above.

IMG_3295-2.jpg

I'll do a proper photoshoot ASAP.

$895 shipped fully insured w/ Lakland black ABS hardcase USPS MO, cahiers check or paypal

2. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Jun 8, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    This is a fine specimen of Lakland quality.

Side note - JJ, I hate to see you part with another sweet bass. That being said, it shows you have some true love for your wife. <--Congrats!

3. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I truly do have a special love for her! I have to say that she NEVER wants me to spend money on her! I've known that she loves Thomas Kinkade's paintings for a while now. I had to drag her into the gallery LOL, and it took me over an hour to convince her to agree to spending the $$ on a painting, and ONLY after I promised to make up the funds by selling some gear that was not getting used. She's a stay at home stepmom and mom to our ZOO LOL, so she feels like she has no right to the money, but I wouldn't trade jobs with her!

It pleases me greatly to hear her telling her friends about the painting :D and how pretty it is.

4. tlvernon

tlvernon

Jan 26, 2011
    Columbus OH
    Ebony?
    Weight?
    Case?

5. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, ebony board. Weighs 9 lbs using my digital bathroom scales (me w/ bass minus me without bass equals 9 lbs). Comes w/ Lakland black ABS hardcase in excellent condition. Ships insured too.

6. Very similar to my old 5502 fretless. I still miss it! May just have to try to pull some funds together for this.

7. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    It's very nice. I remember being shocked when I first received it.... it was so much lighter than all the other 5 string Skylines I'd owned and picked up at stores. My "lifer" 55-94 in my avatar pic is only ounces lighter than this fretless and has the same pups n pre, so they made a great pair :).

8. Great back story bump! Beautiful bass, great price...GLWTS!!

9. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Does this have the dot markers on the side of the neck? I get lost quicker than a DTD* patient!

* Developmental Topographical Disorientation, also known as DTD, is caused by the inability to segregate landmarks and derive navigational information from them, navigate through a non-verbal process, or generate cognitive maps.

10. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Jun 8, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    I'm sure it does.

11. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    What trades are you considering?

12. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, it has side dots.

Trades: heck I don't know.... basses, pedals, Carvin B2000 amp, possibly small cabs.

Cash preferred though.

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    OH MY!!!:eyebrow::eek:

$850 for a fretless 5502? have you been drinking JJ!?

Seriously...I can say that Carl does the ULTIMATE freltess set up...he ahs a way of eeeking out that little extra MWAH from every bass....

if I did not have a fretless "incoming" I woud be all over this....

PS - what did you blow a wad of cash on????:eyebrow: PM me....I am inteested to find out....

14. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    ahhh...nice!

I love his work as well as Terry Redlin....Mr. Kincade is now in the city of lights (fitting huh?) so the value will only go up!

need a picture...which painting?

PS - she works harder than you do and you know it! she has a right to have you treat her well....so does nmy wife...hmmm..now you got me thinking...our number 25 is coming up....maybe ....just maybe...

15. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    it also has lines!n even better as a road map...is DTD a real issue? oh my....:atoz:

16. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Jun 8, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    1 of 100 Thomas Kinkade print.

17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    $895 Doug!! Don't drop my price for me!! LOL

18. PM Sent

19. RumbleBeeAL