1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT Stealth Bongo and Upgraded Roadworn J

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Rumblefisher, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    2 wonderful basses. Here's the story with each:

1. Roadworn J:
    I searched high and low for a lightweight one. This one, 8.1 lbs. Yup. I L O V E the finish...it is pure vintage the whole way round. Soft nitro, not a true red, which is a huge plus for me. The bass is 10/10 condition, no unintended relic'ing :D
    The pickups are the huge upgrade here: Nordstrands, wound with Formvar to 60's spec's. Lovely, powerful sounding pups.
    Also upgraded are the electronics. Fully overdone with vintage paper in oil caps. They sound huge, vintage, perfect. Finally, the fret edges were rolled. They feel smooth and make the bass play even more amazing. All work done professionally of course. I've owned a 70s J and really thoroughly have enjoyed this bass more in every way...sound, feel, weight.

2. Stealth Bongo:
    This was my first true foray into fretless. I am hooked. This bass is fan-friggin-tastic. Playing with fingertips and up toward the bridge, I can get a convincing fretted sound. Move the right hand over a bit toward to neck pickup and play with finger pads, mwah for days...and that preamp, w o w! I bought this bass new from GC. There was the tiniest of finish imperfections, and they lopped off a few bucks because of it. The bass is PERFECT sans that little finish bump, a light, light surface scratch, and a pencil-tip sized dimple that I couldn't even get to photograph. I'd rate this bass 9.3/10 for the sticklers out there, but will price if far below that.

What I am really looking for is an unlined (or lined, I guess) fretless. Trade values are going to be higher than cash price because, well, cash is harder to come by :D

[DEL]Trade values:
    J: $1100, because of the upgrades (over $400 in upgrades)
    Bongo: $1300, Bass Central has these on sale for $1800.[/DEL]

Sale prices:
    J: $1000 + shipping --> $800 plus shipping SOLD!!!!!!!
    Bongo: $1100 + shipping --> $950 plus shipping

So, I just bought a Nord Stage 2 for the wife's birthday.
    I am beyond broke, so my basses have to go :(
    I am off tomorrow, so if these get sold today I'll be able to ship then. Otherwise, it'll be next Monday, and then I don't know after that (long working hours).

Attached Files:

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    <reserved for pictures>

Attached Files:

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    <reserved for pics again>

Attached Files:

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    <even more if needed>

GORGEOUS FRETBOARD!

Attached Files:

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    up

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    crazy price drop!
    buy these while you can...I'm going to try and hold onto them if possible (honestly, probably not).

7. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I can't figure out whether the Bongo has frets or not :) Pics say yes but text says no?

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Bongo is fretless :)
    Pics deceive! It's a lined fretless ebony board my friend. There are very minimal string marks that I tried to get to show in the photo. No dents in the board, just surface markings.

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Local interest in the Bongo...might be gone, would rather sell to a TBer.

Roadworn is no slouch either. Remember, Nordstrand pups, Bestbassgear capacitors and harness, professional luthier fret dressing. Great value

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    holding roadworn for rick at the moment...

11. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Jazz is gone.

Seriously, last call for the Bongo.

If it's still in Philly Saturday it's getting traded in as part of payment for my wife's Nord.

You can get a new one of these for $1600 or this slightly used one (that will end up looking like this one after 1/2 a gig) in over 9/10 condition for $950!

12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    2 days to go...

13. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    this time tomorrow the bass can either be traded in or on its way to you...which is it gonna be guys?

don't miss out on a wonderful bass with a powerful eq and excellent sound.

14. Man, if it didn't have those bright lines. . . Stealth finsih is so cool.

15. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    The lines are useful in their own way too :)

Last call on this one. In a few hours it'll be off the table.

16. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    gone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.