1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT: SUPER-RARE G&L SB-2 in black swirl "bowling ball" (GandL SB2)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Ever wanted to play bass and go bowling at the same time? Well now you can! :D

OK, uhh... not really.....

Here we have a mid 90s (I believe 1995) 3-bolt G&L SB-2 featuring MFD "P" and "J" pickups. The color is of the elusive "swirl" (also described as "marble" or "bowling ball") variety. In this case - black with silver swirling. It's pretty awesome looking, especially under lights. The pickguard is a mirror pickguard that is not original (I do not have the original pickguard.)

I recently purchased this rare beauty but have since decided that I have enough P/J basses and really just want a straight "P." For that reason, I would prefer a G&L SB-1, or possibly some other "P" variety bass (maybe a G&L LB-100 "Legacy" bass or possibly a Lakland or Fender.)

The bass is in very good condition for its age. The mirror pickguard has some scratches. One of the knobs rotates a little looser than the other. The chrome is in good shape with only a slight bit of "cloudiness" - still better than my L2000 which is from the same era. The control cavity was widened (see pictures) and could easily accommodate a preamp. The widened area is completely covered by the pickguard. If you don't like the mirror pickguard, Chandler (Pickguard Heaven) makes amazing pickguards and it looks like they can do an SB-2 pickguard in the $50-range. I inspected the finish carefully, especially around the bridge, and I couldn't find any sign of the notorious finish "bubbling" from which these bowling-ball finish G&Ls sometimes suffer. I guess I am not 100% sure what I should be looking for, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. There ARE some very small, chips, dings, scratches, etc., in various places on the body, but they are minor. I did find one ding where the pickguard meets the body, but it's not that deep and you can't see the wood. There are a couple pin-prick dings where you can see the wood but you really have to look hard to find them. I know this finish is notorious having issues, but considering that as well as the bass's age, it's really in great shape. Not perfect, but very good overall. The nice thing about this finish is that it really masks flaws very well.

Did I mention that the back of the neck is very smooth? :D

Weighs under 9 lbs which is remarkable for an old G&L. (Not sure of exact weight because my bathroom scale is terrible but I came up with average weight of about 8.4 lbs. I was really surprised when I picked it up at how lightweight it is. The neck is very thin and comfortable like a Fender Jazz. I measured the nut at 1.5." The fingerboard is dark, tightly grained rosewood. Mother of pearl dot inlays. The frets appear to be in good shape.

It comes with the original G&L hardcase which is a bit scuffed but fully functional.

I'm gonna do one more price drop. $675 + shipping tonight only or it's getting traded away.

I'll do $625 + shipping without the hard case.

Now accepting partial trade bait for another bass - something cheap - like under $400 - preferably under $200 - something weird, old, and with character/mojo. Prefer made in U.S. or Japan. The older and weirder the better. Mojo and wear as good as long as it still sounds good. I might join a band that calls for just this sort of thing. 4-string fretted only..

PM or e-mail me if interested.

Pictures below.

IMG_0502.
    IMG_0504.
    IMG_0505.
    IMG_0506.
    IMG_1093.
    IMG_1095.
    IMG_1092.

2. morguedoc71

morguedoc71 Supporting Member

May 22, 2009
    Gorgeous....what a great looking bass! GLWS!

3. dlvalure

dlvalure

Oct 26, 2009
    Super sexy

4. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Nice!

5. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Oh my god that is gorgeous.

6. saristi

saristi

Feb 7, 2008
    WOW! It looks amazing! Free bump

7. Leo thechampion

Leo thechampion

Nov 2, 2011
    Very cool Bass mate, good luck

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    that is a very cool bass!

sorry - I am a 5 banger guy!

9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    I've got some wet, soggy cash...unfortunately just not enough of it!

10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    ;)I have a Green and Black Swril 5 Fretless 2500

11. I may just have to start playing 4 strings.

12. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Here is my Green Swirl G&L 2500 Fretless:cool:

Attached Files:

13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sorry, Duke, no longer looking for trades as I just bought another bass that will turn into my next project somehow. Plus I am terrible at 5 string and terrible at fretless and unfortunately those two things don't cancel each other out. :bawl:

14. I saw this in the local CL earlier today. It really makes me wish I could find a job... :crying::crying:

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yay, a fellow Omahan!
    Dang. If you were 2 years older, I could MAYBE help with that. Oh well! :meh:

16. Alas, I am not worthy of such a bada$$ finish. I'll get back to you after I tour. ;-)

17. Sweet bass - I'm really not into mirror guards but I could make an exception here. Is there any "bubbling" in the finish? With these basses, there'd often be some clearcoat lift near the bridge...

18. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    I had the same bass except in the blue bowling ball finish....was not really crazy about the look, but in the black/grey it is really gorgeous !.....I can't believe this is still here, great price !

19. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Bump for a bass with a mirror pickguard.

The "Dude" would love that bowling ball...I mean bass.

20. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    $725 is a deal on any SB-2 let alone one with this awesome rare finish. Someone buy this!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.