1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: Tobias Killer B (4 string, lacewood) - CANADA

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Stereo Joe, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOUND CLIPS AND NEW PICS ADDED!

Price: $899 + shipping

Trades:
    -4 or 5 string basses of similar value (I prefer non-maple fingerboards)
    -Amp heads, rack preamps

Domestic sales/trades preferred, but I will ship internationally at buyer's expense.

This is an early Gibson-era Tobias Killer B with the OHSC. It plays like a dream with super low action and really light weight (7.8 lbs). It has a nut width of 1 - 11/16" and 19mm spacing at bridge. It has a very thick, ballsy sound with the EQ engaged. With the EQ bypassed, the sound is more aggressive and punchy. It also has an asymmetrical neck profile with a thinner treble side - very comfy!
    I've used this bass on plenty of gigs and it always sounds great! Plus, my back isn't killing me at the end of the night.
    The only reason I'm getting rid of it is that I've acquired an F Bass that has become my main player and I'd like to try out some new things.

Note: I have a full blown hatred for 'barrel-style' output jacks so I had my tech enlarge the jack hole, install a black metal jack plate and a 'normal' Switchcraft jack that won't wear out in 2 months...see the pics.

The only blemishes to speak of are a small 'indented' area above the neck pickup from thumb wear - it's actually quite comfy as a thumb rest. There is a scrape about 1 inch long near the knobs, but it's hard to see amongst the busy grain of the lacewood. The only neck blemish is a small ding behind the 4th fret on the neck. Check out the photos of these areas.

Here is the previous seller's thread for reference and full photos:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483586&highlight=tobias+killer+lacewood

PHOTOS:
    Sexy shot by previous seller:
    bodyfront.jpg
    Replacement jack plate:
    P1020985.jpg
    'Thumbrest' indent above neck pickup:
    P1020982.jpg
    Nut width:
    P1020978.jpg
    Surface scratch:
    P1020983.jpg
    The only neck 'wound':
    P1020986.jpg

Thanks Talkbass!

2. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I never was a big fan of Lacewood before, but this top is absolutely gorgeous!:bassist:

3. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    what is the fret board radius ?

4. Thanks! It looks stunning in person as well. And, actually, it isn't a top but a SOLID 2-piece lacewood body that gives the bass it's unique sound as well as appearance.

5. I'm not sure - is there any way to measure that? It's a pretty flat radius as compared to my P-bass. It feels really comfortable doing fast lines or soloing.

6. Bump with expanded trade list.

7. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Damn sexy bass, love the Lacewood... just wish it had one more string.... Good luck with the sale bump... :bassist:

8. Thanks! Still open to trade offers for amps/basses...

9. Price drop bump.

10. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Glenville, NY
    PM'd.

11. Jlinnell7

Jlinnell7 Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    New Orleans
    Spector Endorsed Artist
    bass in sig? pm me plz!!!

12. Replied. Bass is still available.

13. Nice bass but Spectors aren't really my thing...

14. I recorded a quick demo of some of the sounds in this Tobias bass (please excuse the sloppy and uninspired playing...)

All EQ knobs on the Tobias (bass, mid, treble) were set flat and the volume knob was maxed for the entire recording . I used only the pickup pan knob and the EQ bypass switch to vary the tone. Each tone sample plays for 8 bars, followed by a bar of rest. Here are the descriptions:

http://joehincke.com/audio/Tobias_demo.mp3

1. EQ bypassed - both pickups (pan knob centered)
    2. EQ bypassed - neck pickup soloed
    3. EQ bypassed - bridge pickup soloed
    4. EQ engaged - both pickups (pan knob centered)
    5. EQ engaged - neck pickup soloed
    6. EQ engaged - bridge pickup soloed

And I took some more pics...

P1030356.jpg
    P1030360.jpg
    P1030358.jpg
    P1030359.jpg
    P1030364.jpg
    P1030361.jpg

15. Payment pending... Looks like this one is gone.

16. hyoshim

hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Payment sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.