1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: USA G&L L-2000 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BarStarzBass, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    Well, love the look, feel and TONE of this one . . . but it turns out I'm just not a fretless guy. And I need another gigging bass and this one's just too purty for the places we play!

Deets: Per serial number, it's a 2003. Swamp Ash body. Ebony fingerboard. It's an upgraded model - premium Greenburst transparent finish with matching headstock - not as bright as some of the flash pictures indicate - more a forest green/emerald - the headstock close-ups are the closest, though it's a shade darker still in real life. Check the G&L site for a better picture.
    Condition: Flawless playing condition - everything works and turns as it should (and/or stays where it's supposed to). Neck is laser-straight, truss rod turns freely etc. There's little smudges - cosmetic only, can't feel them - under the strings from when I experimented with DR nickel rounds for a month - it wore flats when I bought it used, and now wears GHS Brite Flats.

Slight finish "bubble" at the headstock, otherwise finish is flawless. Little dot on the back of the headstock - looks to be part of original grain. Little swirl mark on the ebony - again looks original.

Mods - fitted Straploks and shielded the control cavity (including the plastic plate) and the pickup cavities. Other than that, she is stock.

Case: Slightly banged-up G&L case which I bought separately - inside is in excellent shape, as is the hardware - outside has normal road-wear plus a bite taken out of one corner - skin-deep only.

Asking [DEL]$750 [/DEL] $695 shipped to the lower 48, or trade for a fretted USA L-2000 - not fussy about year as long as it's in similar playing condition and I can live with a few dings as it will be gigged.

Attached Files:

2. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    more pix

Attached Files:

3. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    and more

Attached Files:

4. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    more

Attached Files:

5. What is that little dot on the headstock its on my G&L L-2000 and L-2500 I think they hang necks in the shop or something, does anyone know for sure?
    Oh yeah G&L bump for a beauty bass but it is getting tight around here if it was lined I would be looking maybe chalk lines?

6. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for the bump Enersha. Yes that little dot on the neck - to tell the truth I never noticed it before, until I was checking her over for the ad. I see the same dot on the L-2k that Chef is selling, and Im sure it will be on my Legacy when I get home tonight. Maybe something to do with truss rod install?

Regarding lines - I was a little worried at first, but really when you're playing you go by the side dots not the face of the board, and you develop finger-feel pretty quickly IMHO.

7. wengr

wengr

Jul 21, 2010
    the dot is a filled hole that is drilled to facilitate the G&L manufacturing process somehow. Possibly it's used to locate the neck for shaping? Can't recall exactly, but it's original. always liked G&L

8. So it has dots on the side in all of the fret positions?
    I keep thinking I need a Music Man but I really love the G&L product line!

9. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    Not all the positions - just the usual 3 5 7 etc - but unlike a fretted where the dots are between the frets, the dots are right where the frets are - ie where your fingers go.

At first I added little plastic dots on the edge of the neck at all the fret postions - but I outgrew those in about 2 wks - eg if you put your third finger at the 3rd dot - your other fingers will just "find" their positions from there.

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I wish I had something you wanted. equipment wise. Great bass.

My 1987 fretted L2000 isn't going anywhere though... :)

11. Thinking fretless!

12. BarStarzBass

BarStarzBass

Apr 25, 2010
    Well, I just dropped the price to $695 - does that make it easier?:D

Seriously, of course I can't tell you if the fretless sound-and-feel is for you - that's personal preference. What I can tell you is, if what's holding you back is a little nervousness about whether you'll be able to play it or not - foggedaboutit!

They're really not that hard to play. When I said up top that I'm not a fretless guy, it's not because I can't make it sound good - I was gigging out with it about a month after I got it. It's just that the overall sound-and-feel of a fretless just isn't for me right now - certainly not needed for the classic rock/blues band I'm in, and I'm not planning to join a jazz or avant-garde metal band any time soon . . .

There's lots of good tips here on TB on fretless technique. Two particularly good pieces of advice I got - play along with a song so you'll train your ear to be in tune, and use your tuner to "spot-check" yourself every now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.