1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT, Warmoth Frankenbass 5er (NE US)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kjpollo, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    EDIT- SEE BELOW FOR PRICES TO PART THIS OUT AND NOW A PRICE DROP

$600.00- new price

PICS ADDED- SEE POST 4

Hey all,

I received this bass in a trade from a fellow TBer earlier this year. I rarely need 5's in the classic rock band I'm in and I need to upgrade my amp rig so I'm putting this out there to see what kind of interest it might generate.

The pro's

*amazing Warmoth birdseye maple neck/FB with TONS of figure
    *full-on G&L L-2500 guts (pickups, pre and all controls) so you know how versatile the sound can get.
    *a nice Gecko-shaped aftermarket body that is possibly mahogany with a dark stain applied

the cons
    *it seems heavy- (I'll get the weight tonight as well as a couple of more pics)
    * the strings do not align properly over the treble side of the pickups and neck beyond the 12th fret or so. there is absolutely ZERO signal loss but if you play WAY up the neck on the D & G strings, the reach is a little funny. I think this could be corrected if you were to move the bridge a few mm's or get a bridge with wider spacing. according to the former owner, the bridge is NOT routed into the body.
    * there is a slight black mark on the bass side of the headstock below the B tuner. It looks almost like the bass had been in a hanger for a while and some of the black cushion material got stuck to it.

for now I've attached a link to the thread where I made the trade- there are a few pics of the bass in there at posts 11,12 & 13

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620205&highlight=riot

I'll get the necessary specs like weight, width at the nut, string spacing, etc later tonight after work.

As far as what I'm looking for, in a cash sale I'm thinking $600.00 OBO shipped. I wasnt sure how to value this so I asked the former owner for some guidance.

for trades I need amp gear- ideally I'm looking for a louder head and either a 410 or 212 8 ohm cab. I presently have an older SWR 220 head that I love but it just isnt loud enough for rehearsal.
    Brands I would prefer are SWR, GK, Carvin, Eden, Avatar, Hartke (cabs only- I'm not a fan of their heads). Feel free to run other brands by me as well.
    I prefer to keep this as close to CT as possible in an effort to keep shipping costs out of the equation for both of us but I'll consider offers from the CONUS.

I would also consider a POG pedal as part of a deal.

No bass trades, please. I have enough for now! :eek:

EDIT; OK, here are some additional specs:

General info about the neck- 22 frets and the inlays are either abalone or MOP dots-very colorful
    The bass has black tuners and a black string bar that covers all 5 strings, gold straplocks and a gold bridge with black saddles. The knobs and switches on the G&L electronics are also gold

weight ~10.6- 10.8 lbs, roughly 10 lbs, 10-12 oz- not as heavy as I first thought.
    string spacing is 17mm at the bridge- tough for my older eyes to read those tiny lines on a metric ruler! Per the former owner the bridge is a Hipshot A and according to their website, the spacing starts at 17mm

width at nut-overal width 1-7/8, width of neck at 22nd fret- just about 3"-those specs match up to a Gecko medium neck but the headstock is not the same.

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Bump for some added info

I forget to say that its a 34" scale 5er.

Also- update to trade bait- I would also consider a good combo amp thats powerful enough to run an extension cab. Like maybe an Eden with 2-10's

And I'm also thinking about parting this out- I already heard from one guy who's interested in the neck.

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have a someone potentially interested in the neck, if I can find buyers for the rest of it (electronics, body, bridge), this can definitely be parted out.

I'm thinking $250 for the complete electronics package which includes everything-pots, gold knobs & switches, etc

$65 for the Hipshot bridge

$100 for the body

Otherwise-no other trade offers?

I have a possible deal out there but I'm still willing to listen!

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Bump for lowered price.
    Dropped to $600 for everything

Would still discuss parting it out, but I'd rather trade for the amp gear I need!

100_0534.

100_0532.

100_0533.

100_0536.

100_0527-1.

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Bumpo

Might have an international buyer for the neck.

Anyone local interested in the loaded body?

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    The neck pocket on the body- is it warmoth spec? I guess what I mean is whether the neck is standard deluxe 5 or somesuch

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    And from that long view photo you shot, it looks like the bridge IS the culprit, as the B looks like its hanging off nearly

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have no idea about the neck pocket on the body. I wasnt the original owner- I got this in a trade.
    The body is an aftermarket one-off. The neck is secure in the pocket though-that much I DO know.

The neck dimensions seem to match up to a Gecko Medium but that's strictly based on measurements at the nut and the 22nd fret.

I'm thinking about taking the bridge off and sliding it slightly to the right to see if that helps correct anything.
    There is no noticeable signal loss though. the only tangible effect is that there are some reach issues when you play way up high on the A&G strings.

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    First-snow-of-the-season bump.
    (Here in CT anyway)

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I've decided that I will look at trades for basses as well as amps.
    here's what I'm interested in:

Lakland 44-01 or 55-01 (no naturals please)
    G&L L2000 Trib (again-no naturals)
    Sterling by MM Ray 34 in Silverburst or honeyburst

Or run something else by me, but please, no Ibanez unless its an early 80;s Musician :)

Also- I have a potential buyer for the neck-if anyone wants the loaded body or the electronics, let me know on that as well.

Thanks for looking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.