1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS/FT: Warwick Thumb 5 BO - Cheap!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dave W, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    2004 Warwick Thumb 5 BO - [DEL]$500 + shipping CONUS [/DEL]PayPal, MO, or cash - SOLD

For sale or trade is my Warwick Thumb 5 BO. According to Warwick, this bass was made on September 30, 2004. The body and neck woods are Ovankgol. I'm not positive on the fretboard, but I think it's wenge.

The electronics are stock MEC slanted JJ's and the stock MEC 2 band pre w/ blend control. The knob for the blend control is missing as you can see in the pics.

The Bad: When I purchased this bass it had a broken truss rod and still does. I figured I would have the time to fix it myself as I had fixed one previously but it's just been sitting in my closet for too long.

It looks as though someone may have tried "fixing" this one by taking off the fretboard, but I can't be sure without taking it off myself and looking. Just checking where the fretboard meets the neck it's not a perfect seam in some places. Due to this, I was thinking of getting a new neck from Warwick. When Dana B. Good was Warwick's distributor in the state, they had told me that it would be roughly $400 for a new neck from them. You send them the body and they'll shape the neck's pocket to fit the body perfectly, assemble it, and send it back. I'm not sure if that price is still accurate with their new distributor.

If you're the DIY type you can certainly attempt it yourself.

It's really too bad as the neck is one of the nicer Warwick necks I've played. It feels excellent in my hands. Towards the higher frets the neck turns into a slight D shape. If you're a down tuner, maybe the action will be okay if you like higher action.

I have also filed the tailpiece to fit regular low B and low E strings as opposed to tapered strings.

A few dings here and there, but nothing too bad.

I would love to get $500 plus shipping in the lower 48 states only. No International shipping please. Local pickup near Westchester County NY is also welcome. If you decided to go the new neck route, that would get you a Thumb 5 BO for around $900. I'll ship in 2 smaller boxes to keep the cost down.

The bass is sold as-is with no returns.

Cash is king but as for trades, I'd be open to a variety. Plus cash from me or the buyer/trader where needed. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head:

Fender Jazz Bass Special (black or white only)
    Fender Jazz Bass Special Neck
    Fender MIA Jazz (AVRI or Standard)
    Lakland US JO or 44-60
    GK 700 RB-II
    GK 800 RB
    GB Shuttle .2
    Bergantino AE or NV cabs
    Tube amp of some sort

You can run other stuff by me as well

Pics:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    bump

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Bunch of offers, but no follow through yet!

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    SOLD!