FS/FT: Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung 6-string

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by kipknee, Jun 2, 2004.

1. kipknee

Jul 30, 2003
    I got this a few months ago as NOS, but I've been playing a TRB-6P and a Patitucci bass for so long that I can't get used to the string spacing on this. Bass is in excellent (near-mint) condition with only very light surface marks. No case, it's still in the original Yamaha triangular box that it came in. I can double box it or, (if you pop for the expense) I can go to the local GC and buy a gig-bag for it.

Price is $700+shipping. However, I'm also looking to buy a decent quality single-cutaway acoustic/electric guitar (not acoustic bass). If anybody has an Alvarez-Yairi, lower-end Taylor, Larrivee, or something else along those lines, I'd be interested in a trade.

2. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    How does this bass compare to the TRB-6II? How does it compare to the JP?
  3. kipknee

Jul 30, 2003
    First and foremost, the biggest difference is the string spacing. The JP bass has very wide string spacing, almost like a Jazz bass. (I've never really played a TRB-6II, so I can't comment on that.) Also, the JP bass is overall just a bigger bass. The scale length on both of the basses is the same at 35".

I would say that the tone on the JM bass is a little more rock-ish sounding. Probably not as good if you're a funk/slap player, but definitely a solid rock/fusion type sound.

One thing I will say is that the neck is very, very stable on the JM bass. The notes on the B string are clean and clear and the higher register notes are even all the way up the neck.

That's about all I can say.