1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: G&L Tribute SB-2 (sunburst/maple/tort)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

Somehow I find myself with "too many" basses again (probably because I keep buying them). This is the latest to be voted off the island.

[​IMG]

It's a very nice 1st generation Tribute SB2. I've loved all the 1st generation (Korean) Tribute SB2s I've had and prefer them to the second generation ones. The necks feel a touch nice to me, I like the different finish & fretboard options you can find on them and I've never had one that was too heavy.

This one has a nice sunburst finish over a basswood body, a maple fretboard and a tort pickguard. I have a "wood snobbishness" problem and was predisposed to not like the basswood body but when I compared this to an ash/rw Trib SB2 I had at the same time I liked it just as well when I listened with my ears. In fact, this outlasted all my fretted US SB2s sticking around much longer (I still have a fretless US SB2 that isn't going anywhere for now).

Neck is a G&L #8 - 1.5" wide at the nut, 12" fretboard radius. One of my all time favorites (along with the G&L #6). Satin finish

I've modified the controls to have a stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol on the front pot and a tone control on the rear pot. This is my favored configuration as it allows setting the relative level of the J pickup to the P and then an overall master volume control. The J pickup is much lower output than the P and is used for altering the texture of the sound - it's not really strong enough to solo IMO (although I know at least one person that lowers the P pickup all the way, raises the J up as far as is feasible and uses it that way for better balance). If you wanted stacked P-vol/J-vol it's just moving the end of one wire in the control cavity (with associated desoldering/resoldering).

It's in great shape - no dings/wear/issues to talk about. Weight is reasonable, probably around 9 lbs.

$495 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK

It will ship in a good condition black Fender gig bag or for another $30 I can ship it in a bass-shaped hard case.

possible trades:

GenzBenz Shuttle Max 12.0
    Carvin BX500
    maybe a Markbass LMII/F1

Acme Low B1 series 2 8 Ohm

G&L fretless L2K (1.5" nut width, under 9.5lbs)

NS Wav electric upright

Steinberger Spirit XZ-2/XZ-2db/XT-2/XT-2db

2. craigb

a couple more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Trade for ATK 750 KOA?

4. craigb

Nice basses, but not what I'm looking for. Thanks

5. craigb

tweaked the trade ideas

6. craigb

Let's try a price drop before resorting to ebay, $450 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK

7. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Hey Craig, how about a trade for the Cherry Burst SB2 Tribby I bought from you? :cool: I'm getting ready to put that up for sale, I've also got to downsize my collection, and I have two US SB2's. But man, I love that sunburst.....I'm trying to think of a way....

8. craigb

Tempting as the cherryburst is one I miss, but this one is essentially the same in a finish I like more and I'm not keeping it. I'm all L2K all the time (except when playing my Rumblefish or fretless SB2) and am looking to keep the total number of basses down, so I'm going to pass. It's kind of funny, I sold the cherryburst to get to this one because I shallowly wanted a non-cherryburst finish.

Thanks for the temptation

9. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Bump for a great TB'er. Love the L2000 you sold me. Many, many compliments on the sound.

10. craigb

tweaked the trades (added Steinberger Spirit)

11. Bump for a beautiful bass, Craig!

GaryLC, I sent you a private message.

John

12. craigb

*** SOLD ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.