Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Godin A4 fretless sunburst (older model)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Bassroy, May 9, 2004.

1. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    FS: Godin A4 sunburst in great condition. This bass will go from mwah to psuedo-DB. I have LaBella tapewounds on it now, and will include a set of lightly used TI Acousticores (the strings used on Renaissance basses).

Bass has two screw holes in the top where the thumbrest goes. I don't have the thumbrest.

Only $450 OBO shipped to the lower 48 states.

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    trades considered?

3. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I really don't need more gear, but I'll ask anyway...

What do you want to trade?

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Schecter stiletto 8 string, I also have a Carvin Bunny Brunel 5 which I'm not sure I want to part with yet.

5. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. Too much gear already...

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    That's cool, do you have any sound samples? I might want to buy it if it sounds good:)

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I may be completely wrong here, but I believe that's a Godin Acoustibass, not technically an A4. Still a fantastic bass though, no doubt, if it's anything like the A4 I had. Godin necks are a thing of beauty.

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

You're right but it doesn't matter;)

9. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks for the correction. I've changed the post.

10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky

It does if a potential buyer wants to find info on the correct bass. I offered the info to help Bassroy, not hurt his chance of selling.

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    you didn't reply to me whether you have sound samples or not?

12. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I don't have any recordings of it. FWIW, my experience with recordings of bass guitars found on the internet has been less than helpful. They way you set your bass and amp tone controls will influence this greatly.

I've copied some reviews I found:

Godin Acoustibass
    Bass

Maker: Godin

Overall Rating: 5.0 (of 5)
    Rating Votes %
    1 100
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    From 1 vote total

Reviewed on 1/20/01 by Matthew Brown (5620)

Rating:
    Really a good bass, especially for the price, and especially if fretless. A very good choice for upright players who have a precision and want a fretless electric to double on. Not as attractive as the A4, and not quite as good in weight and balance, but it does have that finger rest. It will garner comments, I promise!

Price: $850 (new)
    Where Obtained: Union Music, Worcester, MA

Features:
    Made in Canada, this bass had a fretless, ebony fingerboard on a maple neck; mahogany body with plastic (ivory-look) binding around the body. It had an extremely ugly, but excellent L.R. Baggs pre-amp mounted on the upper bout (the basic shape was precision-style, but thicker, and with a hollow body and flat, spruce top. Basically, this played like a precision, but it was a little lighter than most, and neck-heavy. It had absolutely killer tone, and was very playable. Sounded great with bright flats for acoustic style playing; with round-wounds you could get a variety of tones: roots rock, jaco-esque, and others. I sold it and replaced it with the A4, which is a slightly less expensive, better bass, even better looking. The differences in the body shape are significant: the A4 is fatter, and is a single cutaway, with a cedar top and no rest for fingers (the acoustibass had a huge long one). It also uses cello-style bracing, which changes the tone a bit. I last saw an acousti-bass selling for $650 on-line; if you find one for less than $500, I'd snap it up if it's in good condition and you plan to play it. These were extremely well-made basses, with very simple maintenence requirements and superior electronics. Note: you can get a new A4 for about 650-750 dollars, depending, but you'll have to order it, in most places.

Playability:
    A little neck heavy. I played it sitting down, mostly.

Sound Quality:
    Great acoustic style tone; very flexible on-board eq.

Durability:
    Very easy to maintain.

13. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Lowered to $425, which includes shipping to the lower 48 states.

14. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Do You have any picture?

15. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    SOLD

16. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    May I sak why You sold it?

17. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is the thumbrest removable?

18. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Now I've tested even the older Godin Acoustibass
    The neckheavieness is ok for me, BUT the E str didn't sound as good as theother strings (lower output and lesser "mmwwooaahh")
    Anyone who recognize that problem?
    Soloutions?
    The action on the bass was verry low (almost no/flat rielief)
    could that affect the E string sound
    It was stringed with old flatwounds

19. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have a Godin A5 fretless, and three other fine basses. For $425 - you practically stole that guitar. I would never part with mine for under $1000. (not for sale). Great bass with it's beautiful singing mwah. :)

Mark

deManBass