1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Gougi ED-BFC4 Electrodynamic bass guitar

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Shumasonics, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Shumasonics

Shumasonics Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    Hi everyone,
    I have an interesting instrument for sale, a Gougi ED-BFC4 "Electrodynamic" bass. Fabrice Gougi is a french luthier, his website is here:
    http://www.gougi.com/fr/index.html
    If you don't speak French (I don't) the website may be hard to navigate, click the link of the left that says "Instruments électrodynamiques" to get to the page for the ED-BFC4. When I first thought of selling this a few months back I used a web translator program that presented 3 different English translations, I mixed and matched to find the version that was the most accurate as far as I could tell. If anyone can correct or add anything to this please do:

What bass player has ever dreamed of getting a double bass sound from a bass guitar without changing the fingering or even his instrument? The instrument exists, it is the ED-BFC4 electrodynamic bass guitar. The ED-BFC4 bass guitar is an instrument capable of generating wide ranging acoustic sounds from double bass to serious ethnic instruments such as the Moroccan bass Hajouhj.

The technology developed and patented by Fabrice Gougi allows the ED-BFC4 to generate incredibly realistic acoustic sounds. Extremely light, 3Kg (6.6lbs), the ED-BFC4 allows the musician to play for hours without tiring.

It is equipped with a set of Blue Velvet strings made for double bass. This set gives a specific sonority to the low end. These strings have a lifespan of several years!

The guitar is equipped with two pickups, the new generation of Schertler D - DYN pickups, even smaller and lighter than the C - DYN, are set under the soundboard and the bridge saddle. They reproduce in Hi-Fi and without feedback all expressions of playing: different attacks of the right hand at the bridge, or the neck, and all the dynamics expressed in the left hand grip.

The two pickups are managed by a new Schertler preamp/mixer, the DUAL ONBOARD. Controls are pan between both pickups, Hi, mid and low Eq and an on/off switch. The body consists of a combination of spruce and curly maple. The neck is curly maple with an ebony fingerboard. The soundboard and its bars are made of resonant spruce. All logos, buttons of the preamplifier and bridge are ebony. The nut is bone. Schaller tuners.

OK, back to my ad. My version of this instrument has the previous generation of electronics, probably the Schertler C-Dyn mentioned above.

So what we have here is:
    An instrument that was designed to mimic an acoustic bass not only in sound but construction, there is a spruce top with bass bars just like a real upright, maple neck and body, ebony fingerboard.

The "Electrodynamic" refers to the fact that there is no magnetic pickup, the instrument has a piezo and the schertler contact pickup (mounted to the back of the spruce top near the bridge).

The 4 knobs are volume/off, bass, treble and blend. There is an incredible amount of bass and treble boost available, more than any other bass I own.

The instrument is designed for the Blue Velvet acoustic bass strings, and the nut is cut for them, but when I got it it was not strung with those strings. It is currently wearing an old set of TI flats that came on another bass I purchased. Frankly, these particular TI's sound a bit weird to me, and anyone buying this should invest in a set of the Velvet's (full disclosure: they will cost about $180).

This bass has an XLR jack for an output, but don't worry, I am including a HOSA xlr to 1/4 adaptor that gets it into a normal amp input perfectly. The XLR jack does come in really handy in the studio or in certain live situations if you want to plug straight into a PA (I did this with one of those Bose towers once, worked well)

General condition of this instrument is excellent, I was the first proper owner. There are 2 indentations on the top side of the instrument, one near the strap button is about 3/4 inch, the other is about 3/8ths long. They are cosmetic and do not affect the sound or the construction of the instrument. One of the ebony knobs partially split where the set screw pushed against the pot shaft, it may be repairable, but for now I fitted a replacement. There is some minor chipping of the nut at the A string, however they do not go very deep and they do not affect the string in any way. I feel all of these are extremely minor issues, but I want to list everything.

The bass has a beautiful light finish, I don't know what it is but it feels like just incredibly smooth wood.

Nut width is about 1.5 inches (maybe a 1/32 over per my measuring tape). Weight is extremely light, I will measure on an accurate digital postal scale and post. Scale length is 34 inches. Fingerboard has accurate dots on the side that make this instrument very easy to play in tune.

I am building a fairly high end recording studio and need to sell some prized items to raise some cash. Like many of you I own a ton of instruments (including upright basses) so some of these have to go. No trades, unless you are an electrician, or you have HVAC equipment and/or install experience, soundproof doors/windows and install experience or other high end studio construction skills/materials. If you are in a position to do a trade like this we will negotiate something specific. The current price for an ED-BFC4 is 4500 euros, which per the google currency converter is $5625. That's obviously an unblemished instrument with the latest electronics). Considering the economy, I feel that a fair price for this rare bass is $2000, plus shipping.

I am new to talkbass, I've been lurking for a few months, however I have excellent feedback on ebay under the username am864u. I can provide other references if needed.

I'm sure there are lots of questions, let's hear them! Thanks.

2. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    Sorry, pics arent loading, I'm having a general problem here with uploads, I'll try later tonight, and if that doesn't work I'll upload from another location tomorrow.

Attached Files:

3. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
  4. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    An interesting piece -- and this is on the conservative end for Gougi. (Along with Leduc, another fascinating French find)
    Got any sound clips with the Velvets?

merci...

5. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    There are sound clips on the Gougi website, in the middle of the page.

6. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    PM replied

7. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    I posted some higher res pics on Flickr.

8. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    On the positive side, these Gougi basses sound great. Very acoustic. It's good to see more innovations coming down the pike to allow players access to more types of acoustic sounds.

On the negative side, please use bullet points for instrument specs on the top of the posting before it devolves into a novella. It makes it much more informative and helpful for your readers and I guarantee you will have happier potential customers.

Also, your hot link to the Gougi site is the wrong html format. I had to type mine into the address bar get there.

This is a very nice offering, so thank you, Sir.

Cheers.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Gougi is a magician. Awesome instruments.

10. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    Original post edited and link fixed, thanks for the feedback

11. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    bump

12. Shumasonics

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartford, CT
    After "forgetting" (on purpose) to bump this, it's time for me to make some space. So still for sale, Let's start 2014 at $2000 or Best Offer.