1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: handmade Wooly Mammoth clone

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by johnk_10, Jul 6, 2012.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    SOLD. wooly mammoth clone. it works and sounds exactly like it should. built with quality components (metal film resistors, panasonic caps, switchcraft jacks, socketed 2N3904 transistors, true bypass etc). instead of the wide style zvex version, this one was built vertically in a 1290B sized enclosure. operates on a 9V battery or 2.1mm center negative (boss style) ac adapter.

normally i wouldn't sell it, but i also have a mastotron so this pedal is a bit redundant. SOLD. paypal accepted.

woolymammothclone-01.

woolymammothclone-02.

2. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Did you design the circuit or did you pull it from somewhere (DIYstomp, Madbean, etc)?

3. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i got it on the web.

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    since i prefer the versatility of the mastotron over the wooly mammoth, i upgraded this 'wooly bully' pedal today to a mastotron with the relax/push volume control, and a 3 way subs switch. IMO, with the relax control, these pedals work much better this way, especially with active basses, but even with passive ones, you can now dial in how hard you want to push the distortion. with the 3 way toggle it can tame the bass, boost it a bit, or make it have tons of subs like no other pedal. it'll still do an exact wooly mammoth too, but i find the extra settings make the pedal alot more useful.

here's some pics of it (there's no more room for a single part in it now!;))

woolybully-01.

woolybully-02.

woolybully-03.

woolybully-04.

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    ... and you *still* managed to wedge a battery in there !?!?!

:eek:

John, you're my new hero.

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    some have asked me about what this pedal sounds like, so i made a quick clip of it with various settings using a p bass thru my SVT7pro (tone controls at noon). the first riff is bypassed, then the first few riffs are with the relax control turned down so it plays pretty clean. after that i raise the 'wool' control, followed by the pinch control. i also clicked the subs switch in and out on various settings to increase the low end.

and BTW, sorry, no trades on this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  7. Replied w/PM.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all PM's replied to. ;)

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    and she's sold! ;)
    thanks for you interest.

10. morguedoc71

morguedoc71 Supporting Member

May 22, 2009
    Sounds great! My buddy just made me a wooly mammoth clone...and yeah, I can't believe you fit the battery in there!:hyper:

11. Wow... that sub switch is a really good idea. I had a clone, but that was what I did not like about it. It seemed to loose a lot of low end.

12. I can't wait to try this thing out...

13. Just... wow. If I still had my ZVex Mammoth, it'd be out in the garbage. (mild hyperbole)