1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Heathkit TA-38. Local Sale only - NJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by tepperware, Nov 3, 2013.

1. tepperware

tepperware Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    Most of you are probably not familiar with the Heathkit brand. Apparently, when they were around decades ago, they made kits so that you could assemble your own amp. I came across this one about two years ago. Prior to that, it sat in a basement for decades. From what I understand, this amp was likely made in the late 60's or early 70's.

The amp is described as a "vintage thump machine" in this thread, and I would not disagree with that assessment:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/heathkit-bass-amp-ta-38-anybody-played-one-565552/

There are some tears in the tolex but is in overall good shape for an amp this old. Also, there is some hiss, even when nothing is plugged in to the amp. It becomes considerably less noticeable when playing. I will throw in a roll of tolex if the seller is interested in re-tolexing this thing.

This beast measures 39x23x15 with the casters removed. Shipping is exorbitant for an item this size, so I am crossing my fingers that I can find a local buyer. I'm in Bernardsville, NJ.
    [DEL]
    I'm only looking for $100 for the amp. [/DEL]

I will now take the first offer I get for the amp - no matter how small. Don't be embarrassed to offer $0 - my priority now is to get this amp out of my basement to clear out some room!

One of these just sold for about $230 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...81206896979?hash=item2a30c5d153#ht_215wt_1428), so I think this is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

• hk1.
      hk1.jpg
      File size:
      18.5 KB
      Views:
    • hk3.JPG
      hk3.JPG
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  2. tepperware

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    More pics...

Attached Files:

3. tepperware

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    Can't beat the new price! Come get it!

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    If I were still living in NJ, I'd be jumping on this. I remember there used to be the Heathkit retail outlet off of Route 4 in Paramus? Or was it Maywood? In any event, this is a nice blast from the past. Good luck with the sale!

5. tepperware

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure about that, I grew up in Morris County, so that area was foreign to me growing up.

Paramus was in the news last night, unfortunately...