1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Ibanez Artcore ASB140 34" Semi-Hollow w/ Dark Star Upgrade

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jefenator, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    This is a very cool piece.

[​IMG]

I love the wide, long neck, which appears to be 2/3 mahogany and 1/3 maple, with a bound rosewood fretboard. (Nut width is 1 5/8” - thickness is very reasonable - feels like a good P neck!) It plays cleaner than most bolt-on Fender-type necks I’ve had.

The bass is made in China. I’ve had a longtime bias against this but I have to say the construction is generally very impressive. (As evidenced by the excellent playability.)

Be warned, it is physically a very big guitar. This is not your typical easy & fun short-scale hollowbody. But if you’re like me - big & prone to machismo - you might really dig the size. (I can’t say enough about how much I love the full 34” scale. It seems to give that extra “authority” that I really wish my 32” Gretsch had.)

The body looks more massive than it sounds unplugged (which seems typical for shallow 1 5/8” semi-hollow construction).

Fortunately the Dark Star pickup makes this thing roar like a lion when you plug it in. The output is scary hot - hotter in fact than any other bass I’ve owned, passive or active. The sound is full - absolutely not thin! I did tend to boost lows at the amp a bit to compensate for the more bridge-bound placement of the pickup. This worked well with various amps - the result was always extremely punchy and never muddy. The pick “click” is awesome - slap could maybe use a tad of electronic aid (IMHO).

If you’re reading this, you likely know what the Dark Star pickup is all about. (… and that a used one recently went for $350 on eBay.)

[​IMG]

There are no significant issues that I’m aware of. There is of course the inevitable minor wear from gig use. (I took many close-up photos and used flash to highlight the micro-scratches as best I could. Click HERE for the full gallery - WAY too much detail at full rez! :smug:)

The big problem for me is the placement of the pickup. It interferes with my palm-muted pick technique and I am partial to the vibe of a neck pickup. I would love to move the pickup a few inches towards the neck, but there’s no graceful way to do that. Since I have so many other gig axes and projects going (including another Dark Star, which would be a crime to hoard…) I’d rather pass this on to someone who can fully appreciate it.

Hardshell case is included. (TKL - made in Canada - nice case.) It has some minor cosmetic scuffing and a bit of an eyesore on the inside where the jack rubbed through the lining. Hinges, handle and latches are all good.

I’m asking $450, shipped CONUS. IMHO that is a screaming deal for all this.

Trades, not likely for most bass gear. Maybe partial trade towards the fastest 21.5" iMac? Or project parts (particularly the right quality body that might accommodate a Dark Star).

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

2. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    In response to some questions:

I'm pretty sure the pickup is the Dark Star DS-3N. The poles are 18mm apart.

The routing was carefully done to fit the various parts of the pickup. (Some areas are deep, some shallow, some just covered by the outer ring.) This is good, in that a minimum amount of wood was removed and whoever did it did a very good job.

I tried to flip the pickup around 180º to position the poles 1/2" farther back but alas, this style rout does not allow that (would have to take out more wood...)

I do NOT have the original pickup.

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    That looks like my old bass! I'd sure love to have her back if it is.

Looks like I'll be looking for stuff to sell ;)

4. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Sweet!

5. You'd have a sale if this was a short scale. GLWTS.

6. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks! :)

(FWIW after experiencing this bass, I'm holding out for the full 34" on any hollowbody I purchase in the future. But that's just me. :cool:)

Did I mention this is strung with Labella Deep Talkin' Flats? (Medium gauge 049-109 - fairly low hours - were never installed on another bass...)

7. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    And we meet again...
    63e51038_f4b0_682c.

Have to resist my dream bass, 34' scale, darkstar, hollow-body...well...PM :)

8. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    PMs answered - still for sale!

9. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Oh hold, pending payment.

... and SOLD. Enjoy, ciubz! :)

Thread Status: