1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: JayDee Supernatural, Hamer B08S 8 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bdgotoh, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I need to thin out some more great basses. No trades please, I need the money.

All prices include shipping and insurance in the 48 states only. I'll ship anywhere, you just have to cover the extra cost.

#1: Since the 1980s, I've wanted to try a JayDee bass. I've never seen one in person and they are rare in the States. This one popped up on ebay with some issues mentioned that I thought I could fix, no returns accepted. I figured I'd take a chance because I'd never been able to find one. I was able to fix the mentioned problems by contacting JayDee and getting a replacement bridge saddle, rotary switch knob, and truss rod cover. Unfortunately there were additional issues that weren't mentioned. It looks like the bass has been refretted and they weren't careful about pulling the old frets so there's some small wood chips torn out of the ebony fingerboard on most of the frets. The new frets seem to be installed well but either the nut is low or some of the frets are high. If I adjust the truss rod for a bit more curve than I usually like and medium-high action, it plays fairly clean as far as buzzes go. I like a medium low action with a pretty straight neck so this won't work for me and I can't afford to throw more money into it. It might be as simple as a Plek job to get it completely right but I'm done. The body finish is champagne pearl and has some chips and scratches but overall looks very nice. Controls all work fine, some of the pots are a bit scratchy but not too loud. Here are the controls: http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/controls.php Comes in an old but solid Gibson tolex hardcase that fits it well. I think these are around $3000 new, I have $1400 in this one not including the replacement parts.

Price is $1000 SOLD

[​IMG]

Here's another rare one, I had an early Hamer B08S way back in the 80's and really liked this one when it popped up on TB recently: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556023 This one is so much nicer than my old one and sounds terrific but I just can't get comfortable with it. I tried to get the flame top in my pics, unfortunately the color washed out. The color looks more like the pic in the original seller's thread or the closeup in mine. This is a short scale 8 string. Comes in the original tolex hardcase, and is in super clean condition.

Price is $850

[​IMG]

2. If I had the cash, I'd be on this. But bad economy = free bump!

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Price drop on the 8 string Hamer - this is a USA model!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.