1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Jerzy Drozd Semi-Hollow “Legend” VI Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Debased, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :bawl:Withdrawn, I just can't bear to part with it! :bawl:

Up for sale, a very rare Jerzy Drozd Legend six-string with everything on it. This bass was on display at the ‘06 NAMM show before I bought it from Dan at Luthier’s Access Group later that year.

What are the Specs?
    • Arched ‘n’ chambered 5A spalted and flamed maple top with “bird” f-hole, inlayed into an arched figured etimoe body. The controls, bridge, tailpiece, input jack and Schaller strap-lock buttons are all recessed.
    • Asymmetrical 3-piece quarter-sawn maple neck w/2 carbon stiffening bars; 35" scale length.
    • The tilt-back headstock has a figured etimoe cap with a wenge laminate, matching flush-mounted trussrod cover and a large, beautifully carved volute.
    • Extra thick unlined three-octave (36 stops) ebony fingerboard with a 20” radius.
    • String spacing at the bridge is 18.5mm, and the ebony nut is 2 3/16” wide.
    • Aguilar 9V OBP-3 preamp w/bypass and mid freq switches (Vol/Bass/Mid/Treble/Mag-Piezo blend) with matching recessed maple/etimoe knobs.
    • JeDXD double-coil pickup w/arched ebony top; RMC piezo saddles.
    • Gorgeous abalone purfling/binding around the body and headstock; a $715.00 option in ’06.
    • Weight: 9.3 lbs.
    • Thin satin polyurethane finish on neck and body.

I wrote a TB review on the bass, which can be found here: http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1257/title/legend-vi-fretless/cat/13

How about the Condition?

The bass came to me with some small, very superficial scratches and a few tiny dings; most likely picked up during NAMM demos, but nothing major, obvious or distracting. I can provide high-rez close-ups to serious prospective buyers on request.

The magnetic pickup was originally wired in series mode, but I found the tone a little too fat and warm for my tastes, so a guitar tech suggested switching it over to parallel mode, which resulted in better articulation, and more growl and upper-midrange presence. This simple mod can easily be reversed if desired.

Okay, if it’s such a rare and wondrous instrument, why are you two parting ways?

I’ve always preferred tighter string spacing—I don’t slap on fretless, and consider 16mm perfect for a fretless six-banger—so while I was willing to adapt to the wider spacing for a while, my current situation necessitates switching back and forth between my 16.5mm pre-Gib Tobias and the 18.5mm Legend, and the spacing discrepancy is cramping my style, so as much as I absolutely adore everything else about this bass, I gotta have less real estate twixt my strings.

Just shut up, already. You had me at “abalone purfling.” Whadaya want for that puppy?

The retail on this bass with the optional 5A top and purfling was around $7,500 back in ’06. The current version of the Legend lacks the complex inlayed top, fancy purfling, matched knobs and inlayed/matched trussrod cover, and they list for several thousand more. They (literally) don't make 'em like this anymore.

I’m looking for $:meh:, Jerzy Drozd Ultralight case included, and I’ll throw in a very nice $145 Moody strap in redwood and cream leather that matches the etimoe and maple colors to a tee.

Possible trades considered: high-end five-strings, or preferably, six-bangers with 18mm or less spacing only, but I warn ya, I’m awfully picky and won’t consider anything even remotely Fenderish; no plastic, no paint, no pickguards, no stringtrees, no bulky neck-heels, no slab bodies and no sub-two-octave boards. Good balance, condition and ergonomics a must. Another pre-Gib Tobias would be ideal, but I'll also consider MTD USA, Smith and F-Bass (etc.) fives and sixes; fretted or fretless (fretless six only on F-Bass).

Feel free to contact me with any questions via PM or email at zos_kia@earthlink.net

JDLfront.

JDL007.

JDL004sm.

JDL008sm.

JDL006sm.

JDL007sm.

JDL003sm.

JDL009sm.

JerzyLegendbridge.

JerzyLegend013sm.

JerzyLegendcavity.

The rubberbands give you some idea of the asymmetrical neck profile:
    JDNeckProfile.

DrozdLegendVI.

Hadrien Feraud (jamming with Yves Carbonne) on the Legend VI at '06 NAMM:
    DSCN4682_JPG.

ERB ace Stew Mckinsey took it for a spin, too:
    Stew_playing_Jerzy_Drozd_Legend_VI_.

ScyllaandCharybdis01.

Thanks for looking!

2. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    All that cool stuff to say about it, and you forget to mention the headstock can open beer bottles!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wow! What amazing workmanship.

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Neato!

5. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow! Can understand string spacing and hand/wrist issues as I had a major tendon injury on upright years ago and still have to be very careful when playing. I'll bet she's not easy to let go!
    Stunning. Wish I had the cash!!
    GLWS!

6. Thanks for the comments!

Actually, the ass-end of the bird F-hole works even better than the headstock on those tough imported lagers.

Yep - in all the years I've been playing snooty boutiques, nothing I've seen can beat this Drozd in terms of sheer maniacal attention to detail. It definitely opens up a can o' OCD.

Indeed, sir.

I wish you had the cash, too! :D

On top of the usual overuse injury concerns, my right hand technique is damn peculiar: I use my first and third fingers because they're the same length (my middle finger just hangs in the breeze). Once you get used to it, you can play with surprising speed and dexterity without the usual wrist twisting, not to mention digging into tight string spacing with ease. :bassist:

7. sfbabali

sfbabali

May 11, 2009
    France
    Absolute piece of art...
    :)

8. Thanks, sfbabali. :)

Bump with additional trade interests added.

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    All I can say is it's WOW. It's piece of art to look at...

10. Thanks, FrenchBass!

Bump for another price drop.

11. Had some interesting trade offers, but so far it's still available, so...

Git on up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.