1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Lakland 55-94 Classic with new electronics

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by drgregn, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    ********SOLD********** thanks

FS only (no trades for now, please):

b4f7_3-1.

Looking to raise some $$$ for the new fretless 5 Pete Skjold is going to make me, so this one's on the block. Beautiful bass - my personal favorite 55-94 ever - and I've owned several! Trans white ash body, birdseye maple board, just a primo example of the 55-94. I know the 55-02 is pretty close, but the 55-94's are definitely in a league of their own, and this one in particular.

I owned this bass for quite a while, and then sold it to Hman, 'cause the Bart electronics just didn't cut enough IMO. By far it was the best player of all the Lakies I'd owned, but I couldn't quite get the tone I wanted. Hman sold it back to me a few months ago, and I immediately had Lakland put the new LH3 pickups and preamp into it... that was the missing link. Cut like a knife, but maintained the low end support, and the preamp was voiced perfectly. IMO this absolutely smokes the standard Bartolini setup.

So why am I selling it, if I love it so much? Well, I love my Skjold Pro 6 more, frankly. I can get much the same tones for my purposes from my Skjold w/ maple board (which isn't going anywhere, BTW :D) so somebody needs to play this one. Yeah, I'll probably REALLY miss this bass once I let it go, but my ironclad rule is that if I am not playing a bass regularly, I move it on. So somebody will get a great bass here.

Minimal play wear, no performance issues, does have one 4mm ding on the upper bout at the side where the only person who can see it is the player. Will get a pic up of that in the next couple of days. Otherwise no issues.

I'll make this a great deal for a TB'er - $1700 including shipping to the lower 48 in Lakland hard case. I know there's lots of used Lakies floating around, but remember this does have the new electronics (the $300 cost of which I'll eat for ya).

Paypal or USPS money order only acceptable forms of payment.

Other pics:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Lakland 55-94 white/ce11_3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Lakland 55-94 white/DSCF0003.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Lakland 55-94 white/c046_3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Lakland 55-94 white/c6bc_3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Lakland 55-94 white/board.jpg

Please, no trades (unless you want to trade me your Fodera straight up or something :D ).

2. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    free bump to see where this one's going!

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Smoking deal on the best all-around 5'er made (IMHO).

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Damn, that's nice!

5. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    thanks, pickles - couldn't agree more. Don't talk me out of selling, now - I've made up my mind! :ninja:

6. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    thanks for the comments... PM's have been returned, BTW.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That's a knockout!:D

8. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Agreed!

9. Wow nice price, someone's getting a deal here!

10. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm gonna p in my pants :eek:

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    OMG, I just started pondering the aquisition of a Lak 55 and I LOVE trans white maple fb......:bawl: I have to resist.... $$ issues!

Does it come also with the original Bart electronic?

Oh man oh man...

M

12. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Nope, sorry - traded them in. But you'll like these better IMO.

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Gorgeous!! 1 too many strings for SQUID though:bawl:

14. Can someone fill a potential buyer of this fine piece in on the difference between the models of this specific maker?

I've never been much of a bassophile and am not savvy to the subtle differences.

For instance, I see a million of these and some of 55-01, 44-01, 55-94 blah blah blah.

Is it the 55-94's that you cant procure new these days? I have heard these in action and love the sound. (coming from a Modulus player infact...)

I assume these are all wood? Wasn't hot on the color either but when I saw in the back body picture it was trans I about fainted. So pretty, I don't think I have ever seen one quite like it.

This one imparticular, would you classify it's sound as rich yet aggressive, muscled lows with melodic highs? Bright as well as deep?

Thanks in advance.

15. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for all the interest - bass just sold to local TB-er.

Greg

16. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    The 55-94 is the US made version, has some nicer features like quartersawn neck, etc. The 55-02 is a very similar bass but is made in Korea then finished out by Lakland here in Chicago and as such is considerably less expensive. Electronics are the same but the neck profiles seem different to me - I've owned both and prefer the 55-94, seems thinner and more ergonomic.

Sound is very flexible - there used to be a youtube clip of these basses, not sure if it's still there. The idea is to have one bass that can reasonably cover the J-bass, P-bass, and MM tones, and these come fairly close. Anything beyond that - you just need to listen for yourself - I've never been really good at objectively describing such a subjective thing as tone.

BTW, bass is now sold to local Tb-er. Thanks for the interest.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.