Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Lakland 55-94 Standard - $1450 firm to TB members only...

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by allan grossman, May 26, 2003.

1. This bass is listed on bassgear - but I'll knock $50 off the price for TB members. That'd make it $1450 out the door :)

==========

Good-to-excellent condition Lakland 55-94 standard with maple fingerboard and Bartolini pickups and preamp. Tobacco burst finish with white Lakland pickguard. Finish is probably 8.5 out of 10. No buckle rash, but a couple of small (1/8") dings near the bottom of the bridge - anyone who's ever strung a Lakland through the bridge knows how easy that is to do

This bass has one of the best B strings in the business - and it wouldn't bother me at all to keep it. I'm looking to sell it and add a few bucks of my own to start shopping for a natural quilt 55-94. If that doesn't happen, it's no big deal.

Includes OHSC, a set of Schaller straplocks and four sets of Lakland strings (two nickel and two stainless). I put one of nickel sets on the bass for less than 24 hours and then replaced them with the set of DR Longnecks that are on the bass now. Three of the string sets are unopened.

TB member special - $1450 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 - we can negotiate shipping to other locations. Cashier's check or postal money order, please - I'll hold non-postal money orders or personal checks until they clear.

pictures at:

http://pointbeing.com/pix/gear.jpg

http://pointbeing.com/pix/lakland.jpg

Y'all can email me through my profile or at wizard@pointbeing.com

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm sorry if this is off-topic but where did you get the pickguard for the Lakland?

3. From Lakland :)

If you're looking for one call John @ Lakland - he can hook you up. IIRC it was $25 plus shipping.

Hey, Limo - I know someone looking for a quilt-top 55-94 that's got $1500 to spend. You got pics? If you have something like that for sale, PM me the URL for the pics and I'll forward them on to the guy with the money.

Please don't post the pics in my FS thread :D

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Thanks a lot, I'm sorry about this. I know how annoying it is when you think someone is going to make you an offer but then it's just some crap;)
    good luck selling it:)

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I got the standard model not quilt top model, do you think he would want it?? I'll PM you the link to my thread here in talkbass:)

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hehe I didn't think about it until after I posted that you are selling a standard model for $1450. I'm so stupid:p

7. You're not annoying, Limo. I expect discussion in the thread - not everyone who wants to talk wants to buy :)

I'm passing your link to the guy I know who's looking for a Lakland. He might not bite, but at least he can take a look.

cheers,

allan

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Thanks a lot Allan, I know of one guy who has a Zon fretless for trade, he contacted me but I'm not really looking for a fretless at this point. You want me to send you his e-mail?

9. No - but thanks for offering :)

10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    My bass once was a standard 55-94 in three tone sunburst until I bought a new body from Lakland with highly quilted three tone sunburst for 350.00 installed. If you go this route you dont have to try and sell your bass and then try to find the right deal for the bass your looking for. Oh, I also got about 100.00 for my old standard three tone burst body off ebay. This way might save you a little time and money.

11. Now there's an idea - thanks, g4string :)

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    only $350??? did they install all the hardware and electronics???

13. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I live about 1.5 from the factory so I dropped my bass off. The whole thing was 350.00. That included the swapping of hardware and electronics, setup, etc. etc. Of course, if you have to ship your bass to them, tack on an extra 50.00.

By the way Allen, this route should also apeal to you since you spent all that time sealing your maple neck.

14. Unfortunately it's not that simple :(

Early 55-94s used 4-string MM pickups - later models have a MM 5-string pickup and a correspondengly larger pickup rout. There are also differences in the bridge and maybe in the neck pocket. I do know that current Lakland pickguards need about 1/8" trimmed out of them to fit my bass - which has a pretty low serial number. Build date was April 1997.

There are at least three different 55-94 bridges. Most of the changes Lakland has made are pretty subtle and I'm pretty sure the only differences in the body are the pickup routs - later 55-94s have the neck pickup about 1/8" farther forward than mine is, plus the 5-string MM pickup I mentioned earlier. That's probably okay, but replacing the body plus one pickup (and maybe the bridge) makes the proposition prohibitively expensive, I think.

I live about three hours away from the factory and could drop the bass off, but I think maybe selling this one and replacing it will work a little better. If it was a later model 55-94 I'd sure jump at the chance.

Thanks for the idea, though - I never would have thought of having Dan and company swap bodies :)