1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Lakland DJ5 (So Minty Fresh you could GARGLE with it!)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by IotaNet, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here we have a Lakland Darryl Jones 5 with the J-Retro Preamp. This bass is awesome! :D

It has the Aero pickups and sounds great in passive mode. When you switch on the pre however, it goes into WHOA mode! The neck is fast and the blocks/binding give it that extra touch of class. It includes the Lakland (by Levy's) Gig Bag. It is one heck of a fantastic instrument but at 10.5 lbs, it's a tad too heavy for me.

I will consider trades but am pretty specific about what I'd want. I would be interested in 5 stringers with exotic tops but they have to be:

* Light (9 lbs or less)
    * 19 mm string spacing
    * Flatter neck profiles

I might also consider the right Fender Precision but it would have to have the "A" (Jazz width) neck.

This is a perfect "all-purpose gigging machine" kind of bass. Send me a PM! :hyper:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Nice!.. tell me how did you get the J-Retro into the DJ5 control plate? I know the DJ control plate is not the same as a standard jazz bass.. it has a slight bend in it... (and btw that 55-02 is going great!)

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Dang, Dwayne, you go through some nice basses. Good luck on the sale! :)

I used to have one of these. Almost kept it instead of my Sadowsky.

FWIW, the DJ does have a curved control plate, but the J-retro is available as a factory option, which I'm guessing is how it was originally ordered.

If anyone wants to retrofit their DJ with a J-retro, I'd suggest contacting Steve Barr at the Dudepit, who AFAIK was at one point selling J-retros with the curved plate.

4. Bart -

You are defintely right about that. I think what's happening is, the better player I become, the pickier I get. LOL

Remo -

This J-Retro was factory installed -- East does a special plate specifically for Lakland to make this possible.

I'm glad you're liking the 55-02 -- that is a really nice bass. Not the prettiest one I ever saw but she is definitely a player!

5. That is one of the hottest DJ5's I have seen in awhile, are the bottom knobs of the j-retro are they black by chance, it is hard to see with the pic's?

Also, if you don't mind me asking... how does the pickup blend work when passive mode, can you dial in either or pickup or do they both have to be on at all times?

Peace,

6. No prob -- thanks for the compliment!

The bottom knobs are black.
    In passive mode, the pickups are automatically in "equal volume" mode and the blend pot does not function.

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
  7. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hi,

does the j-retro have a passive-option?

would you ship to germany?

than it´s me!

regards,

sandmann

8. Do you know if the neck radius is the same as on the 55-94's?

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's the thread title of the year!!! :D

I'd offer a free bump for creativity, but you're already at the top.

10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Gorgeous DJ5!! If it was white/rw, I would be having a $#!+ fit trying to sell something to get it.

Just to add: In passive mode, the pickups are either equal blend or you can solo the bridge pickup by flipping the toggle.

11. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    THis is siCK man!!!

wish I had the money..
    great bass!

good luck!

12. No it is not, it has one less fret, 1.8" at the nut, same compound 10-13" radius of like the JO5 and 55 series, and it's only 3" at the final fret unlike the 3.3" on the JO5 and 55 series. I have personally not played a DJ5 but I have played a 55-94 and it does have a wide neck but not too wide to where you can dig in good for finger style and not worry about having the string spacing for when you slap. I was really surprised how much of a difference an extra inch made on the scale length when I played it. I do not see how it could make too much of a difference but my buddy did say that the DJ5 was a different neck and feel and he said that if I liked the 70's jazz bass neck feel it's there, but if you like a chunkier neck like a musicman or a p-bass then the 55 series neck and the JO5 is great as well.

Peace,

13. Man,....If this thing had a maple neck and Lakland pickups this listing would have lasted about 5 minutes. She'd be mine!! :D

I am feeling week though. J-retro, man-o-man. It's a good thing my paypal account is totally FUBAR'ed.

:help:

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    oh - go for it!!!!! that is Haaaawwwt!

15. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    pm sent

16. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Man, ya ain't right!

I'm pretty set with the Lakies I have for now. Hmm....I got a UL2-112 and a pair of Chucks w/good tread left on them. Let's see if Dwayne will bite.:D

17. :D :D

You are wild. I think I'll have to pass on the Chucks --- I'm a Nike kinda guy!

18. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I guess less blisters and corns are a good thing!:p

Wish I could swing it.

19. SOLD!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.