1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Lakland Skyline BG with JO bound/blocked neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by looper, Jan 1, 2012.

1. looper

looper Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    I'm probably gonna hate myself in the morning but up for sale is a 2005 Lakland Skyline BG body with a 2006 Lakland Skyline JO blocked and bound neck.

Bass is in excellent condition with a few finish swirls as about the only sign of use I could find. Really nice pice of Ash with great grain, Lindy Fralin pickup. Refinished headstock with US Lakland logo, currently strung with LaBella Deep Talkin flats (Standard Gauge). USA Hipshot Ultralite tuners. Weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

Comes with a creme Lakland G&G tolex case

Sold!!!!!!!!!!!

2. OMG PM sent!

3. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    sweet!

This is a Skyline that Lakland should be building!!!!!

4. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was the one who built this. Amazing bass and one of the best Laklands I have ever played. If I didn't just have a Nordy delivered, I would be all over this. Someone is going to be very happy!

5. Sun/tobacco burst are my LEAST favorite finishes on basses, but this one looks AMAZING!!!

Any trade interest? 1.5" nut (jazz neck)?

6. A few questions. Who did the headstock refinish? It look like maybe the Lakland decal was put on incorrectly? Also it looks like the holes do not match up with the tuners (like they are too large). Since the tuners are US hipshot am I correct in thinking they are smaller than the holes in the headstock?

7. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Pretty, pretty pretty!

8. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Neck is 1.5"

9. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The headstock was done by the person I sold it to. I believe Marty Bell did the refinish. It was CAR like the Dunn it came from along with the stock tuners when I had it.

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Come on Aaron.....buy it back.....you MAY have a bonus coming in 2012...he he.....

11. looper

looper Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    It is a fantastic bass which I am gonna miss. Thanks for the good words and the fantastic build!

@JA Not sure on the tuners, never had them apart. Gonna do an outright sale on this one.

12. Are the tuner holes too large for the US tuners? It looks like there is part of the hole sticking out under every tuner. Thanks.

13. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Jun 8, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    Most of you know that Lakland Skyline 4-String basses have the Hipshot Lic. style Tuning Machines... The Lakland US 4-String basses have the HB1 and optional HT1 "Drop-D" Tuning Machines. Where-as the Lakland US 5-String basses have the HB6C machines.

However, you are in for a nice treat (ha!) if you decide to install the HB1/HT1 tuners on a Skyline headstock since the spacing between the holes is smaller on the Skylines than on the US models - This requires that you modify the tuning machine flanges themselves. The holes also require enlarging to allow the larger retaining nuts to be installed on the Skyline headstock. Trust me as I took on that mod with my skyline Jerry Scheff 4-String LPB with MLF neck build - The mod is not for everyone, though can be fun for a woodworker. But, it can be done (see photos below).

The through holes on this bass may have been enlarged to allow the install of the US Ultralight tuning machines - reason you see a portion of the holes in the back of the headstock shot shown above. I'd be surprised if the US Ultralights required a smaller hole than the Lic. versions. Though this might be the nature of the beast. I doubt it affects the quality of the build or play ability in a negative way. Most folks would prefer the US type over the Lic. models in general. Knowing Aaron from past dealing, I'd say he's a stand up guy and have faith in his know how and craftsmanship on the original build.

This resulting bass on the block here is very cool.

14. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks bro, but when it was mine, the neck had the original equipment from the Dunn neck. Everything was stock. The neck fits this body like a dream. I wish I had the cash to get it back. I knew as soon as I sealed the deal on this Nordy, this would pop back up.

15. If you change your mind I have a hot rod'd Geddy Lee (Hipshot D-tunner, Barts, Audre pre amp, red tort pick guard, etc..) and a Mesa Big Block 750 that not getting much love right now.

16. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    Oh wow, this bass is beautiful.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Skyline JO bound and blocked neck???

18. I had the same question - I suppose it's really a DJ neck?

19. Mr Matt

Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Not a DJ neck, it's from a Duck Dunn w/the headstock painted black.

20. looper

looper Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    Thanks for all the info and comments!