Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub w/ JO neck

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Sean Baumann, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    For sale, basically brand new Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. I've had it about a month, and it'd been out of the case only twice. It's never left my house! Why did I buy it? I was anticipating joining a local band, but it fell through and I haven't been playing at all, actually.

Additional Features:
    - Lake Placid Blue w/ mint guard
    - Joe Osborne jazz neck factory installed
    - Hipshot d-tuner (Xtender, or whatever you want to call it)
    - Dunlop straploks buttons installed
    - Raven Labs PBR-1 active pre-amp, installed by Lakland.
    - TI Jazz Flats installed.
    - Lakland gig bag.

Now Asking $700 + shipping.

2. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
  3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I don't like Jazz necks or else I would buy this in a second.

This is a discontinued color. The JO neck is no longer an option on Skyline Glaubs. The PBR-1 is no longer being made and unavailable pretty much anywhere.

Bottom line, you will not be able to get a Skyline even close to this anymore.

4. Is there a Lindy Fralin pickup in this bass.
    How does the Raven Lab pre sound?
    Does it have a passive selection?

5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yep, it's a Lindy Fralin P pickup. The raven labs pre sounds pretty natural to me when centered, just louder. Rotating the knob will give you thicker bass or a tighter more present sound. Heck, I can even get a passable slap sound with the flats on there if I want to. Sorry, no passive selection.

6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Still available. I'll entertain offers.

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
  8. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Sean,

I really like your bass but I am worried that because it has an active preamp It might not be as traditional a sound as I might want. How would you compare the sound to a traditional old school p bass sound.

Andrew

9. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd say that flat, the bass sounds the same (or very very very close) to the original sound of the bass. When you boost the bass, you get everything from more grind to more thump, depending on how far. Seriously, it's like a P on steroids. The pre makes it much more flexible. To get more of the traditional sound, I installed the TI Jazz Flats.

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    $700! Wow, what a deal. Too bad my 4 kids take such a bite out of my wallet. I can almost justify it on paper, but I'd get such an ass-kickin' at home.

MingusBass, if you buy it and don't like the preamp you should have no problems finder buyers for it. The company is now defunct. In fact, I'll promise to buy that preamp right now. I would rather have the whole bass, but you know the rest.

11. If I may say a bit about the Raven Labs pre-amp, I do not think that it takes away anything from the original sound of the bass. I have one in a '57 repro Pbass and like the original poster stated, it adds a wider dimension to the original sound, in a very good way. If you don't like it, it is a very simple thing to get 2 250K pots, a Switchcraft jack and wire it back to the original scheme.

12. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I have 1 more question. It has to do with the pre amp batteries. Do you have to take the pickguard off to change them or is there a battery box from behind for easy access.

Andrew

13. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    How much does this bass weigh?

14. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yep, you have to remove the pickguard. Nothing that 5 minutes and a screw driver wouldn't solve. The batteries are those flat type, like you put in watches....only bigger. Available at any radio shack. I believe they are rated for 300 hours of use. Sadly, no passive option. Just change the batteries every six to nine months and you are golden.

As a previous poster stated, if you don't like the pre, just take it out. I don't have the original passive electronics (Lakland didn't send 'em to me), but they are easy to find and cheap.

Now, I did have to slightly modify the pre-amp to get it to fit in the Lakland. You see, the pickguard design and cavity are slightly different than a Fender P. When I received the pre-amp, the pots were attached to the circuit board. I simply removed them and used wires to connect them to the board. Lakland did the final install work. No mods to the bass or pickguard needed.

15. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Good question, I don't know. It's light, probably around 8 pounds. I keep forgetting to do the bathroom scale thing. No where close to the weight of my (now sold) Modulus Q5 or older Stingray I had (those were surprisingly heavy). It is pretty comparible to my MTD 535 in weight, probably just ounces lighter. My MTD is light :)

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You have PM Sean.

17. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Sold! Now I want to cry.... :crying: