1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: "Maeari" 80's Japanese Explorerer Copy, Silver/Black

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Basstovsky, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I've had this for quite some time, picked it up from ebay simply because I'd never seen one like it. Stopped playing metal, and haven't been in a band since that liked the looks of it for a while now, so its got to go.

Looking for $200 shipped, continental US only, paypal only, it has no case, but I have a box with proper supports (see the bottom picture) and every crevice will be packed with bubble wrap. If you are worried, check my feedback, all basses I have sold came with no case and all were happy customers.

No trades please, I am clearing out my stable to make room for a custom ordered Spector.

It plays great, the neck is ridiculously strong (had it strung BEAD for a while and never had to adjust the truss rod even when I returned it to standard tuning) and straight. The pickups had issues and eventually died so I had them replaced with Dimarzio Model P-J's, as the original pickups were copies of the old cream colored dimarzio's. This thing sounds like a monster. With the strap button at the base of the neck this thing sits comfortably and doesn't neckdive (I hold the neck at around 45 degrees-ish) I never thought this body shape would actually be ergonomic but my arm rests on the lower point nicely. The bridge is my favorite feature of this bass, the ball-end of the string actually inserts through the saddle and locks in under the baseplate in a small notch in the body (not string-through body) The strings are a relatively new set of GHS Flea strings, I only played them a few times after tuning the bass back to standard tuning.

It plays excellent, sounds great, but if you want a beautiful case-queen... this isn't the bass for you. Unfortunately when I got it from ebay, it had way more dings and dents on the tips of the horns than the pictures had led me to believe, I learned a valuable lesson that day. I tried to picture all the dings and dents the best I could. Also, the tuners have 2 different types of screws on the main gear, I am unsure which are original. Please be aware: the neck side dots were painted on, and some have chipped off with the paint (frets 3, 5, and 7), I know those are important to some players.

If you have any questions, please ask, I want to accurately represent this bass to the best of my abilities. I can even take extra pictures if you are concerned about certain dents. Onto the pics:

DSC01017.

DSC01015.

DSC01016.

DSC01036.

DSC01018.

DSC01021.

DSC01022.

DSC01023.

DSC01037.

DSC01024.

DSC01025.

DSC01026.

DSC01027.

DSC01028.

DSC01029.

DSC01031-1.

DSC01032.

0109121834b.

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Very cool! Same bridge that was on my Hondo Explorer.

3. shrap

shrap Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Definitively a Matsumoku piece. The string true bridge with the circular brass rings are a dead giveaway. The P/J setup and block inlays are unusual.

Never seen one like that before. Killer.

4. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, i figured it was, as you said the bridge saddles are obvious, more subtle is the smaller sized neck plate is just like the ones on the other Matsumoku basses I've had, also the pickups that died were cream colored dimarzio knockoffs like on a matsumoku P-bass I had.

Still find it weird I've never seen this particular branding name on any other bass or guitar.

5. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    There are chinese made SX basses for cheaper than this baby, any takers? $200 with free shipping.

6. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    bump

7. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    On hold pending payment

8. Basstovsky