SOLD FS - Manne BN5 5 string - Italian made beauty

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by zuma, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    UPDATE: TRADED! Thread Closed.

Manne basses are picking up steam in the U.S.A. Ex Deep Purple bassist Glenn Hughes has his own model now. Check out Soulmover on YouTube. The break is killer! Check out the ad in the latest Bass Gear magazine too. Pick this one up for dirt cheap while you can. This was the last bass to enter my stable and I'm just not giving it enough playtime. I will miss the neck on this beauty!

The neck is constructed similar to the famed Kubicki ExFactor, with laminated strips glued together perpendicular to the fingerboard forming a super stiff neck. The profile on this neck is quite slim and oval shaped. I can do chordal stuff up high that I can't do on other basses.

The original hang tag on this bass stated it is a BN5 MMS model in CBB Blueburst. If you scroll down on this page it looks like a Newport Satin to me:
    http://www.manne.com/eng/newport.htm

The following is a German distributor's web page for the Satin 5:
    http://www.ppc-music.de/de/anzeigeC...peCPPwarengruppeCPPartikelnummerC0059210.html

Check out that price. That translates to over $2600 for this passive bare bones model.

Specs:
    1. 5-String
    2. The tag says body is Basswood but it feels way too hard for Basswood and doesn't look like it either. I am thinking it is Korina.
    3. Dual trussrods, 24 frets. Ash laminate neck with resin fretboard.
    4. MANNE-Design bridge
    5. MANNE Jazz pu in Ceramic/MM style Humbucker in Alnico
    6. Chrome Hardware
    7. Finish: Blueburst satin
    8. MANNE Gigbag
    9. Handmade in Italy
    10. Passive electronics with series/parallel pull switch on MM Humbucker. (plenty of room in control cavity for a preamp upgrade).
    11. 9 lbs 1 oz
    12. Schaller straplocks installed
    This may sound odd but I don't even use the MM pickup. That ceramic pickup in the neck position sounds so good on its own. It gives you a very nice, singing P-inspired tone. Woodsy with bite. Very even sound, no dead spots. Put this thing though some tubes and watch out!

For condition I give it a 9.5 out of 10 due to very tiny "dents" in the back of the body. They are very small and do not even crack the finish. I am only mentioning them for disclosure's sake. I couldn't get a shot of them with how dark the back is.

Asking for $800! Also accepting trade offers! Warwicks, Ernie Balls, U.S.A. or MIJ/CIJ Fenders, other Jazzes, etc.

As this bass came to me in its original softcase and I don't have a hardcase, I am only accepting local offers for now. I am willing to meet halfway for greater SoCal people as well.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: If you really love this bass I am willing to ship it if you buy a hardcase for it.

Manne_1.jpg

Manne_2.jpg

Manne_3.jpg

Manne_4.jpg

Manne_5.jpg

2. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are right the body should be korina and the neck should be ash with laminates, the standard body and neck woods for Manne basses. I have a fretless 6-string Manne... these are top quality instruments IMHO. Good luck with the sale. :)

3. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thanks giovabass! I thought that maybe the body was basswood with a Korina top but the back of the bass feels just like the front. Not at all that soft feeling that basswood has.

Korina body it is!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is a good deal a very well constructed and sounding bass.

5. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thanks Jauqo!

UPDATE:
    Here are some sound clips for all. No effects at all except for a volume bump on the chordal clip. Using worn-in medium light nickel strings. Tone and volume up all the way. Only using the neck pickup. No humbucker at all. I could swear that I hear reverb on some of that chordal clip but I assure you there was none present.

Enjoy.

The clip below cycles from slap to slightly thumb muted to fingerstyle.
    http://zumaz.com/forsale/manne/manne_funk.mp3

And some quick chordal stuff...
    http://zumaz.com/forsale/manne/manne_chordal.mp3

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    you're more than welcome.

I've played my share of Manne basses and they really deliver with a bang.

7. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    What a steal for 800 $!!!

8. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    800? somebody will be very happy...

9. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    It's called "I'm trying to buy a house" and "nobody has money!" :bawl:

10. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    UPDATE: Also accepting trade offers! Warwicks, Ernie Balls, U.S.A. or MIJ/CIJ Fenders, other Jazzes, etc.

If you have something I can't resist I will find a way to ship it to you.

Thanks for looking!

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have a MIJ Jazz Bass Special posted on this forum. Interested?

12. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Sorry Joe, I think I will pass on that one even though I can hear myself copping all those Duff McKagan licks. Thanks for the offer!

13. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    One last bump before I make a trade decision on Friday.

14. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Trading one fine piece of lumber for another with FilCo.

This thread is now closed.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.