1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Matsumoku Westone Thunder IA MIJ 1984 LOW PRICE!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    For sale is my 1984 Westone Thunder IA made at the legendary Matsumoku factory in Japan, and dated 1984 as evident by the serial number.

For those of you who may not be familiar with these,
    these basses were Matsumoku's P Killer. An OEM DiMarzio style precision pickup is boosted by an EQ tone control. There is also a master tone, an active bypass switch and a parallel/series switch for a great number of tone combinations despite the traditional single P pickup configuration.

This one does have some player wear and needs a couple of minor parts (see below), so I am listing it as a players bass, hence the low price. All wear is depicted in the pics and hidden well by the natural finish. I am also not 100% sure but I believe that this one was stripped down to the natural wood, which looks great to me.

The tone on this is ridiculous. Lots of beef. Like a P bass with a serious attitude. There is a master tone and an active bass or treble boost (the active tone pot has a detent- in one direction you get bass boost, in the other direction, treble). The active circuit can be bypassed, and there is a phase switch. Some more info on how the electronics work is here:

http://www.westone.info/wiring/thunder1abass/index.html

The saddle height screws on the E saddle need replacing as they are stripped. The tone knob is missing as is the nut that holds the pot. The knobs can be replaced inexpensively at allparts here:

http://www.allparts.com/Gold-Metal-Cupcake-Knob-Set-p/MK-0120-002.htm

The brass nut was replaced with a graphite nut so the previous owner simply removed the truss rod cover. I had a new one made using an original as a trace.

Otherwise everything is original including the electronics which are in perfect working order.

I am asking $SOLD shipped CONUS ($20 extra to ship to pacific or mountain time) OR BEST OFFER shipped in a gig bag. I would very gladly consider sales outside the US but please PM me first as we will need to agree on the additional shipping charges to send overseas or outside the CONUS.

Check my feedback and buy with confidence. This is a great bass to be had at a great price as it is my third so I am highly motivated to move it along. (Read: don't be shy to make an offer!)

Thanks for looking at the pics below. Feel free to PM questions or offers. Thanks.

RBM

Picture001.
    Picture002.
    Picture003.
    Picture004.
    Picture005.
    Picture006.
    Picture007.
    Picture008.
    Picture009.
    Picture010.
    Picture011.
    Picture012.
    Picture013.
    Picture014.
    Picture015.

2. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Any love? Offers? Local pickup for way less $$$?

3. free bump because i've been thinkin about this beast for a week

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump. Had a local sale pending which seems to have fallen through.

I would love to sell this before I leave for vacation tomorrow. Anyone feel like dealing? Reduced price to ship with the neck off? Way reduced price for a local pick up?

PM if you have any offers.

Thanks!

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bass is sold. Thanks folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.