1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS Mesa Boogie original Bass 400

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by mikeswals, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I am putting up for sale one of my Mesa Bass 400 heads. I have two of these original beasts. One I kept at our practice studio loaded with 6L6's, the other is my live stage amp loaded with 6550's, so I am selling my practice 400. My band is giving up the large rehersal warehouse, and we're moving our practice into the singers' basement for a while and I'll be using my B15, so I'm not needing or have the space for two of these things for now.
    This amp was made in '87, and is in very nice shape. As you can see, it has very few scratches on it...cosmetics are very nice. The tubes in it are Sovteks and are about 2yrs old, and certainly will keep going for many years. There are no modifications done to this amp, only maintenance, and I've gone through and re-soldered the typical solder joints that were weak points from the factory.
    The Bass 400 is a tone monster...all the crushing lows and tube grit you can dish out. I absolutely love playing these because you actually 'play' the amp, not just through it. These tube amps are very responsive to your plucking hand...you ease up and deliver a round blossomy tone, and then can dig-in to deliver a bad attitude. I never had to change the eq settings when I played in a country band one night, and a metal band the next night...it's all in the hand response dynamics. And the volume is rediculously LOUD with Mesa heads. I've played countless gigs outdoor and indoor with no PA support. Yes, you can run either 6L6's or 6550's in the Bass 400. (do not confuse it with a 400+)

-SOLD

-Mike

DSC03887.gif

DSC03888.gif

DSC03892.gif

DSC03896.gif

DSC03875.gif

2. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    Nice amp man! Wish I had the bread!

3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I'm very interested.

In order to replace the 6L6's with the 6550's do you have to have it biased. Or do you just need "special/matched" tubes from Mesa. What is the output wattage difference with the 6L6's verse the 6550's.

Lex

4. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    .....a local TB'er is coming over for a test drive.

not on hold, it's available.

5. if you would have shipped to Canada, I definitely would have taken this off your hands

6. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Back to being available. PM's replied in order received.

7. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    Hey, I might want this this next week. I think I'm going to give up on the ultra-light SS heads and go back to tube power.
    I just need to sell couple of things.

8. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    SOLD

9. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    It' s got a fixed bias. So You plug them in...

Mesa does not sell 6550's anymore and used to use Sylvanias in the 80's according Rich at Mesa.

Not sure how much louder 6550s are than 6L6's.

I just recently bought a 400 from Chef / TB & replaced the 6L6's with reissue Genelex KT88's.
    More bottom & top end! Not sure how much louder it is.
    But tonally there's big difference! (I use 6 F bass. )

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.